Windows 8 Users?

Started by MountainDon, March 07, 2013, 08:08:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

Our new media computer runs Win8. You've probably seen pictures of the new brightly tiles start screen that takes the place of the traditional Windows start menu. After a couple months I have concluded that this was not one of MS's better ideas. I don't like it. Too many clicks to get to other stuff that's not on there. IMO, another case of fixing something that was not broken. The rest of Win8 is fine. It seems to be a solid platform.

I have found a way to make Win8 have a start menu like Win7

Stardock Start8  $5 download
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Don_P

Something about that start screen, the visual equivalent of fingernails on a chalkboard  :P
I'll have to download that whenever we get the new laptop back with a new screen installed.
An HP cheapo, it was in a briefcase on the floor, the briefcase fell over and the screen broke. If that's all it took, this thing isn't going to make it  ::)

rick91351

Don and Don - Not to run amok with this thread.  I buy a new lap top every three years.  Working on the railroad they took a lot of abuse in our grips.  Shoved in to transport vans, stuff getting knocked over, in and out of hotel rooms, stuff spilled. Yet some how, some way they seemed to hold up from the cheap Toshibas at the high end HP and Macs.  They all made the trip time after time and day after day.   After I retired I bought a Windows 7 machine just before the 8's because I just did not like the looks of Windows 8.  I still don't like the looks of Windows 8.  I was told it is just like an Apple.  I would have to tell them no.  I own an IMac for my desk and 8 is not a Mac OS.

Two lap tops later, well really one lasted a week to the day and would not power on.  Took it back got a better one.  A week latter to the day that one went in to meld down mode and the key board even got hot then went blank.  I removed the battery and never would reboot.  I took it back.  They sent it off.  It is still running without issue.  But I just do not think it would in that hard railroad environment.  I doubt it would hold up.

Beside the new laptop issues I got my wife a tablet for Christmas.  The wife's tablet was just as bad as the lap top issue.  We returned it for an IPad.  I think the extra bucks there was really worth it.  However with the cheapening of product it is a real crap shoot.     
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Don_P

After over 2 weeks into the 3 day repair policy I bought with the computer and multiple phone calls, the repair facility had still failed to send me a return box. At their insistance I had bought a boot disc to send with it. we had to order that from a nice young man in Calcutta who managed to get that here a week ago. I've felt no need to raise my voice with those folks, they have performed quite competently. I had a long conversation with the US repair scheduling facility yesterday moving up the ladder and dealing with people who could use a little better training in handling a customer. One service rep thought it would work getting me off her phone to push a bit of attitude at me, the failures were all theirs and we ramped right up. I wonder why we're failing in the world. Never an apology, nothing but covering their tails and dollars short term. Still no box and no tracking call this morning, I went to a store with the initials WM, girded for battle. Had to move through the customer services rep and the first manager to get to something other than the company line. By the time the second manager got off the phone with the repair shop for the second time this morning I think he was madder than me. They actually, a live person, asked if he would like to take their customer survey. I wonder why we are failing in the world. He had insisted that I had to go through their channels until he tried it. He got off the phone, apologozed and told me to go back and get a new one.

I go back to electronics and yup, they were out. I decided to upgrade to the next model up and pay the difference and have the extended warranty transferred... but no, since the new unit was more expensive I paid the difference and the difference in warranties. And all for the privelege of exporting my money to Bentonville AR.  I think they've been talking to Lowes about how to shoot that pesky golden goose.

Anyway opened up the new gateway and the first thing it says about windows 8 says alot;
1. Start; The start button is no longer available: you can launch apps from the start screen. (these people have never seen the number of apps I keep on a computer, it takes multiple strokes to go through the "tiles" they've decided to use instead). The charms on the right side pop up when I want to see the screen and are nowhere to be found when I want them... how do they know?

Rick, my old ME machine has been cross country multiple times, voltage spikes on the job, fallen out of the truck. The battery's dead and the modem is fried but it won't die and the screen has taken it all in stride. At one point this morning I turned around and was talking to the crowd that had formed waiting for me to get out of their way and we were talking about how stuff was getting cheaper and cheaper. One girl even piped up, even their eggshells are getting thinner. I hadn't thought about it before, but I can tune the girls into the proper calcium/ protien diet to get the shell and contents right. I laughed at first but thought about it for a minute. I don't doubt it one bit.

MountainDon

What a sad tale of woe, a sad commentary on that US Brand. But as a counterpoint, not all US computer companies have that attitude. I had a problem with the new Dell desktop we bought as the media center computer. Their help desk people are in India too, but with the exception of the guy who made a serious error in his "solution" everyone was more than helpful. Even the guy who screwed up was courteous. Everyone else was very apologetic and understanding. The install software they had to send arrived less than 24 hours after the phone call. Dell has had a few hiccups along the road but I've been consistently satisfied since the first one we bought in 1987 (Windows 2). So there is hope; too bad we often do npt find out about the shortcomings until after they have our money.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Tickhill

Why not go with a Mac Book Pro, if you just have to have a Windows OS for somethings then install it using Boot Camp or other software that allows dual boot capability and then you have the most options, a laptop that will last and OS options. Been running Win 7 on my MBP for 2 years with no problems.

I also install pc's and projectors in church's on the side and have done 3 Windows 8 laptop installs, all went well, I find that anything that I use often I will pin to the task bar for quick reference (Notepad,Control Panel) and always remember, the Windows logo key is your friend.
I am afraid Microsoft will continue to play catchup to Apple for years to come, IMHO.
"You will find the key to success under the alarm Glock"  Ben Franklin
Forget it Ben, just remember, the check comes at the first of the month and it's not your fault, your a victim.

Pray while there is still time

Huge29

I have an HP with Win 8 that is about two months old, I have slowly become accustomed and now am ok with it.  I also have a windows 8 phone that I love with the similar style layout, but I also have many concerns with it on the PC.  Customer service overall has changed adversely in retail overall, places that used to have great service like Cabela's and Wal-Mart are both now terrible and they look at you like a criminal because we want to get a store credit for two to of the three duplicate toys my son got for his bday with no receipt, I mean is it now standard procedure to request a gift receipt with each gift, just check that gift horse's teeth right away!
I have had terrible luck with Dell and Gateway, but HP has always treated me very well.  Sams and Costco each have very nicely priced warranties.  Buy it with AMEX and there is one more year of warranty for free from AMEX, they have replaced a laptop and a microwave in the last few years.