need help building a shed

Started by Huggles, July 20, 2007, 02:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huggles

:'( I want to build a 10' wide by 12' long barn style shed. I'm retired and on a fixed income so saving for the materials has been a challenge. I need to know where I can get plans just for cutting the rafters only. Most sites for shed plans are expensive and I only need the rafter plans...can somebody help...please please please...lol.

jraabe

When you say barn style what do you mean? Gambrel roof?

A shed will be much easier for a simple 10' wide shed... and maybe you don't really need a cutting plan. You can just layout the first rafter and notch it at the the top and bottom wall and then use that as your template. (You could try a 10' high front wall and 7' or 8' wall at the back.)

Click this free layout plan I did if what you really want to do is a gambrel roof. (This is for an insulated roof and the rafters are overkill for a 10' wide shed.)
http://www.countryplans.com/Downloads/Gambrel.pdf

Huggles

I tried to download the PDF but got the message the file is damaged and can't be repaired. Yes I meant a gambrel roof. I want to build a shed that looks like a barn but I don't know what angles to cut for the roof. I know it consists of four 2x4s cut and joined at angles and that you need to cut little plywood pieces to nail where the 2x4s are joined. I have a compound miter saw but don't know what angle of cut is used.

glenn-k

You could just get a bunch of 2x4's - lay it out on the ground - then lay them - overlapping in the shape you want then mark the centers of the overlap and cut them.  you can then fine tune the cut angles by laying one on top the other and making sure they match.  Use a speed square to find out what angle it is.  Use the first one as a template when correct.

I know - if you can find a plan that would be easier but it would work. :-/

hack_solo

Greetings,

I'm new here but maybe I can help. I build sheds and frame cabins for a living. For a 10' wide gambrel truss you will need four pieces 45" long and cut at 22 1/2 degrees on each end. Put these pieces together with wooden gussets or metal truss plates. You can also get an overall lower roof on a 10' wide if you went 49" for the top and 36" for the sides all cut at 22 1/2 degrees.  ;)

Huggles

:) Thank you Hack solo...thank you, thank you, thank you, I'm always building and remodeling something and the shed is the latest project. I've learned everything I know talking to people, reading books and watching TV. I've never had a lot of money to hire someone to do things for me so I've learned to do most things myself. The problem I have is I can visualize how I want the project to look when finished and I know the steps I need to take to get there but sometimes I don't know the correct term for something...like gussets, or truss...lol. The key ingredient in the shed that I was missing was the 22 1/2 angle cuts. My friends think I'm slightly crazed but they all envy me the 5 drawer 2 door double sink vanity I made out of my old waterbed drawers. Kind of funny that they think I'm nuts but I'm the first person they call to fix things or install a light etc...snicker snicker.

Huggles

;D In case anyone is interested here's a picture of my bathroom vanity...I redid the whole room - walls plumbing toilet etc...

glenn-k

Of course we're interested - very nice job. :)

builderboy

I built my own barn shed. I went to a building supply yard and measured the pre built barn trusses to get my plan started.

hack_solo

thanks for the welcome :D

Here is some more measurements for the barn truss incase somebody is searching for this info in the future.

8 wide: 36" tops   36" sides   22 1/2 degrees

10 wide:  45" tops    45" sides  22 1/2 degrees  or for a lower roof  49" tops  36" sides   22 1/2 degrees

12 wide:  58" tops    48" sides 22 1/2 degrees     lower roof 62" top 36" sides 22 1/2 degrees

glenn-k

Hey, thanks for the Gambrel Barn Truss info.  

Seems I recall some of these turning out at the bottom a bit also don't they?  Would that be an additional cut or is it common?

Thanks. :)

Huggles

:) You guys are all really great and I love it here. I've been to a few other sites that say they'll help but if you ask a question and don't know the correct terminology they can get pretty sarcastic. You have all been so nice and helpful and gave me exactly the info I needed. I'll keep coming back because the posts are so interesting and informative and you're all so nice. If you're a woman you get used to being treated like a brainless idiot. That doesn't seem to be the case here and I really appreciate it. I went to get some plumbing parts to fix my friend Mike's sink (he's not handy) and I explained to the clerk what I needed to do. He spent ten minutes talking to Mike about what was needed. Mike had a glazed look on his face by this time and we looked at each other and started laughing. The clerk was confused. Mike told him he didn't know a wrench from a screwdriver and I would be doing the work..lol  ;D

hack_solo

QuoteHey, thanks for the Gambrel Barn Truss info.  

Seems I recall some of these turning out at the bottom a bit also don't they?  Would that be an additional cut or is it common?

Yes some builders do that. It's more like a wedge? thats nailed on top of the truss near the bottom then plywood nailed on top of the wedge. It gives it that look of the truss turning out at the bottom. The cuts and angles are the same just that little wedge is added.

glenn kangiser

QuoteHey, thanks for the Gambrel Barn Truss info.  

Yes some builders do that. It's more like a wedge? thats nailed on top of the truss near the bottom then plywood nailed on top of the wedge. It gives it that look of the truss turning out at the bottom. The cuts and angles are the same just that little wedge is added.

Thanks for the explanation.  That makes it easy.  I saw one turned out today but didn't get close enough to see the wedge.  Makes great sense. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

glenn kangiser

Quote:) You guys are all really great and I love it here. I've been to a few other sites that say they'll help but if you ask a question and don't know the correct terminology they can get pretty sarcastic. You have all been so nice and helpful and gave me exactly the info I needed. I'll keep coming back because the posts are so interesting and informative and you're all so nice. If you're a woman you get used to being treated like a brainless idiot. That doesn't seem to be the case here and I really appreciate it. I went to get some plumbing parts to fix my friend Mike's sink (he's not handy) and I explained to the clerk what I needed to do. He spent ten minutes talking to Mike about what was needed. Mike had a glazed look on his face by this time and we looked at each other and started laughing. The clerk was confused. Mike told him he didn't know a wrench from a screwdriver and I would be doing the work..lol  ;D

We don't allow meanies , bullies or rude people here.  There are no stupid questions and there will be no rude answers here.  I chase the rude people off.  We want people to be able to somehow manage to build their dreams without having to sell their soul to the system and the rest of their lives paying for it.  

Our members will beat their own little part of the system even if we have to help them. :)  The actual value of what we tell you is only what you paid for it though. ;D  You have to choose and pick the parts that fit for you.  We are all volunteers here.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

fourx

Hi Huggles- great looking job on the bathroom. what's the area like where you are building? Is it on a rural block?
I did much the same as Glenn has suggested, made the trusses up on the ground and them hired a couple of people to help me raise and fit them. I used scissor trusses ( like in a church) which gives you a cathedral ceiling..- thats why a cathedral ceiling is called what it is, I guess.
"Too many pieces of music finish too long after the end."
- Igor Stravinsky

Huggles

I live in a  :'( sniffle sniffle mobile home park for now just outside of Toledo, Ohio there is quite a lot of farm area nearby but it's technically not rural. I would love to live in the country but oh well you can't have everything..lol. I was wondering if for a shed you need to go 16"oc or if you could get by with 24"oc. Either way it has to be an improvement on my 8' by 10' metal shed that leaks and is too small  :-/
It's a rat race and the rats are way ahead...lol

glenn kangiser

24" should work fine.  The walls will not be as solid and not too great for 1/2 inch sheetrock.

Plan to have your trusses line up with the studs below in the walls and you could use a single top plate -- a wood saving scheme.  

John Raabe

Thanks for posting all the new information on gambrels.  :)

The PDF file I posted early on is fine - no damage - but some folks may have security settings setup to block such files, or maybe Acrobat Reader isn't installed.

Check to see if you can open other PDF files. Here's some in-line PDF file resources on this site: ://www.countryplans.com/InlinePDF.html
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Huggles

Thanks for the info on the stud spacing. If I can scrounge up enough lumber I'll do the 16"oc if not it's nice to know I can go with 24"oc. I tried the PDF link again and it worked today....hmmmm must have been gremlins messing with me the first time. I can hardly wait to get started. I have a couple of demolition jobs to do before I start (free wood is good wood...lol) and the new shed is going where my tomato patch is now so I have to wait till the tomatoes are done. I have been collecting drawers from demolition jobs and plan to do almost one whole wall in drawers for my tools,screws etc, etc. I plan to rip some 2x2s and attach strips along the top edge of the drawers and build a frame with wood strips on each side for the drawers to run on..cheap err.. free drawer guides  ;)

Sassy

Huggles, just wanted to join in with the others to say what nice work you've done - on your bathroom cabinet & the porch!  That is really funny about going to the hardware store & the salesman ignoring you  ;D  I bet he was pretty surprised when he found out that you were the one doing all the work!  8-)
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

Huggles

:) I really appreciate everyone being so complimentary about my admittedly amature building projects but as the saying goes nothing ventured nothing gained. Sometimes I get frustrated when things don't go well and sometimes I cuss alot but I'm hooked on trying to improve my little corner of the world. Mostly I like building things.Thanks for all the help and positive input. As far as my Home Depot experience with my buddy Mike goes the sale clerk looked a little embarassed when Mike told him he wasn't going to vote for him for employee of the month...lmao. I'm currently remodeling my bedroom and will post pics when that's done. My ultimate goal is to arrive at a point in life where there are no tools or pieces of wood in my house....hmmm what are the odds? I still have the living room, kitchen and spare room left and of course there's that shed....maybe I was a termite in a past life...lol