Mold on wall studs and trusses

Started by n74tg, July 17, 2007, 10:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

n74tg

We've had a LOT of rain lately.  A friend, who is building a house, showed me some of what he thinks is mold (black spots) on maybe a half dozen trusses and wall studs.  The spots are on wood pieces that are already under a decked roof, though the decking hadn't been done before the rains came.  

He's wondering what to do about it.  Hitting them with bleach, or maybe a pressure washer, or even leaving them alone and continuing construction, thinking that once the house is built things will dry out inside and not be a problem.  Here in central Arkansas, we have plenty of humidity most of the year.

Anybody got any thoughts?  
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

glenn kangiser

I get it on wet sawmill wood sometimes when I leave it too long without stickers for air dryiing.  If not a visual problem, I just let it dry and don't worry about it.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

jb52761

I had the same problem about two years ago, had the osb put up on all but about 4 feet on one side of the roof, the rest I tarped over until more money became available etc.. I started to notice the black spots of mold on the inside of the osb on the ceiling and on the osb on the gable ends, inside. I just went and bought some Tilex, the bathroom mold spray and sprayed the areas about once every 3 or 4 days, didn't wipe it off just let it dry. After a few weeks, the mold wasn't there anymore. Once I was more dry-boxed in, it didn't come back.

John Raabe

These short term wetting problems don't usually allow a long-term problem to develop.

When I go into my crawlspace I still see some stains on the joists that were put there 24 years ago when we framed in October.

The current humidity is far too low for these guys to come back... so it's now a sorta mildew critter graveyard.  8-)
None of us are as smart as all of us.