Well and Septic

Started by whit, May 24, 2011, 12:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whit

The municipality is requesting that I put in a septic system and a well. The septic can only be a holding tank as they don't allow septic beds but I was thinking of a waterless toilette instead. Anybody have one of these?

As for a well, my property drops off at the back about twenty feet (see pic below). I estimate that I have about 25 feet from the drop off point to a trail which is owned by someone else. Just past the trail is a running stream which is fed from the lake and which feeds off to a river about 5 miles away.

My question is, how hard would it be to dig a well by hand?

My first thought is that it would be much easier to hit water at the back than at the top of the property however, there is no way I would ever get a drill back there unless it was a two man held drill. I'm not sure how far I would have to go.

My second thought is just dropping some black pipe into the stream and pumping it up the hill to a holding tank. We do this at another cottage I belong to but the pipe is dropped into a lake. A running stream may be a different story all together?

John_M

Not sure how much water you need, but what about a rainwater collection system?? ???
...life is short...enjoy the ride!!

bayview

Does the stream freeze over in the winter?   Probably not a good source if there are above ground hazards.   Cattle, neighbors dog, etc.

You can drive a sand point if your soil allows it.   I would guess you have a high water table . . .

What did the neighbors do for water?   

This would be another thing I wouldn't "skimp" on - is the water . . .
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

whit

Thanks bayview. I'm thinking the water table must be high as well since I am only about 100 to 200 feet from the lake. I found this link here on the forum, maybe I could try that first. I'm not sure what the neighbors have. It's still a little early in the season and I haven't seen them around yet.

http://www.fdungan.com/well.htm

hpinson

Looks like New Hampshire, Maine, or Quebec? From the pictures you are right on granite ledge bedrock and there is very little soil.  The municipality only allowing a septic holding tank for waste would be for that same reason. I can't imagine hand drilling a well through granite.  A pro rig could drill the granite-- not sure how far you would have to go, maybe not far-- lots of water filled cracks in granite; you just have to hit one that goes at an acceptable flow rate.  Have you had any estimates from local drillers?

Is this for a year-round cabin, or will occupation just be in the summer months?  If just summer, and the water is clear of Giardia and other nasties, then you could probably just pump from the stream into a big holding tank. Might be the way to go if you don't have the year-round requirement.

The composting toilets work well so long as they maintain a certain temperature and they don't freeze, some point above at which all composting action stops.  Looks like it gets cold where you are.  Some have electric heat sources.  Check out the Humanure Handbook online for details about these systems. The simple humanure bucket - compost pile system seems to work as well or better than the commercial offerings. I doubt it is legal for you though.  Not sure what your local regs are... worth checking.

cbc58

Whit,

I'd talk to your neighbors and see what they have done as far as septic, well and survey.  What you say about having a holding tank sends up red flags for me because they don't allow that where we are - except as a last resort scenario in very unusual situations.  A holding tank may only apply for septic waste and not gray water so be careful and get all your ducks in a row before spending any big money on construction.   You may not be allowed to have running water at your place without a septic field - that's the way it's done in NH... don't know about Canada...  Just an FYI.    

If the abbuters properties were built within the last 20 years I would bet you there is some kind of survey, siteplan or septic design showing the actual lot lines for setbacks.  Not as good as getting one done yourself but a  place to start.  The prices others are quoting for surveys are quite cheap... would be at least double where we are.

That brook looks very inviting. The kid in me wants to dam it up and create my own little private swimming spot.

whit

Yes it's Quebec hpinson, lots of rock.

I have to have a septic system that uses a holding tank which needs to get pumped out once per year. Too much rock to have a septic bed.

The other holding tank I was referring to was a fresh water holding tank that I would pump the water up to.

Looks like the other neighbors use holding tanks. The neighbors have been up there for years and the lot I bought was left vacant for 40 years. So regulations have changed. I just got one heck of a list of environmental rules as set out by the province from the municipality today, it's quite a read.