relocation plans and progress

Started by SVDtiger, February 04, 2006, 09:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SVDtiger

[size=16]Hello again. i thought i would start a thread on our planned exodus from the state of florida toward higher ground, at least that way i would cease bugging you folks threads and that it might be interesting to hear about and even motivate someone to make an exit they only dream of doing someday. we not getting any younger. we are both natives all our life from florida. lesia from sarasota/port charlotte and myself jacksonville. we have been in and seen many dangerous stroms and i have even lost family to torando in panhandle. so we respect heavy weather.

we plan to sell our well set up single wide late model and pretty efficient econobox on 1.18 ac here in northern florida , become refugees(for a short time)lesia and  and homestead a raw piece of tennessee land as far away from city inspectors home owners groups and teenage neighbors that put glass pack mufflers on minivans  as we can get. spooky stuff sorta. but also thrilling and all consuming all at the same time.

tennessee land size will be larger than 2ac. up to whatever we can find for 12-15k.  the more woods the better for the site both fro privacy and wood stove use.  

lesia and i even though both disabled are very self reliant folks. we made this place happen we are in now. it was raw land when we came here i just dont want to live in a mobile any longer nor do we want to buy some old energy hog needing who knows what repair. plus we dont need a huge house. we need open plan where she can navigate with power chair with wider doors or none.

our total budget is tiny at 50k i know this place will bring that as there is nothing here priced below 60 so im factoring with the smaller number. given that amount and septic is 1800 and well 4-10k depending on drill site. that only leave a very very small amout to build with.

the only thing i can see i can build is a post frame structure and hopefully at least get a sip roof on it. i can wire it. i can also plumb. my son is frame carpenter. very young but good and very willing to take time off to come help us. so im blessed with some good help.

i would get the 8x24 sip wall but we cant handle without crane. so 4x9  singles if i can swing roof and wall sips. plan is if i cant get wall sips is to go ahead and use same metal roofing 26 guage on walls with wood fast screws
then as i can afford the sips just unscrew the wall panels add the sips and put
the metal back on.

the septic tank man i have made friends with knows almost every other one in the state it seems and he said he can get me a 2000 gallon concrete
tank for 250 dollars if i use him on my sanitary install. they are seconds but fine for what im planning. im setting it inside the house slightly above grade for strorm shelter. then building floor up to it. ill use oak pallets from my old trucker friends over 6 mil poly then deck that for floor.

today i traded a 3hp briggs engine for 40' of counter top a double sink 4 double door base cabinents solid wood unpainted or stained. and bought a 20# hand tamp and a 12v sure flo pump for 15 dollars.

i want to be as green as i can afford  (and know how to do) i would like to find a list of used building materials places in driving distance of middle tennessee.

i  so desire and need input advice and suggestions as im sure im missing a lot. im sure the building will be very strong and also very efficient when i do get all the sips i will need in place. just getting it dried in quick as i can is the main goal and basic systems in place

it might not be something anyone else would live in but it will be the best i can do on what ive got. another beautiful thing is that we will be totally out of debt except for those none of us can escape from.

thanks much john

[size=16]

SVDtiger

i have built a 11x22 shop addition here with sheathed floor windows and  22 guage walls
and 29 for a roof for under 100 dollars . salvaged rollup doors are very strong  and makes a great siding. these i had were 14 x17 footers  pretty heavy hang for dis couple

"roof and siding just like that and  an alternative insulated panel from non home app
They are very similar to SIPs, 4x8' pieces 4 inches thick, 2x4 frame, foam insulation. they connect together easily and quickly, and best of all they are INCREDIBLY CHEAP! I bought 26 of them to build my garage for less than $200. "

Amanda_931

Might be able to find something reasonable in your price range in SW Middle, or SE West Tennessee.  But a lot of people are selling off the 2-5 acre sites for McMansion building retirees.  West, Middle, and East Tennessee are formal divisions, by the way--roughly the dividing lines are the Tennessee River and the Central/Eastern time zone.  Although there is a county--Hardin--split by the river.  Prices (and convenience) go down with increased distance from an Interstate highway, or one of the big dammed TVA lakes.  Strangely, distance to a paper mill (awful smell!) may not make much difference.

phalynx

We are currently looking in TN.  We have been 3 times and have looked at about 40 properties.  It's odd that restrictions are popping up everywhere.  Finding unrestricted property is not easy on a budget.  Also, the building codes have found their way to most on TN.  There are just a few counties left without building codes.

SVDtiger

what counties have you found that dont have so many B Rat restrctions?

paper mill cant be worse than poultry farm and the entire population of cuba mexico and all of south america.

of the 40 properties how many were raw land and had no restrictions other than septic/gas install and of sourse state permit of the well.  thank you all very much for the reply.

phalynx

There are a few counties that don't have the building codes.  They are in the "exempt" list from the state.  All of these codes were set jan 16th.

SVDtiger

you have a link to this "exempt" list handy?