Wood stoves

Started by Crappie Slayer, December 23, 2011, 09:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crappie Slayer

I am going to be purchasing a wood stove for my 16x16 cabin with a large loft.  I was wondering if there arae any good recomendations out there on country plans for a certain type of brand.

I dont want to buy any chinese or overseas crap, lol.

There is a local Northen Tool store here around my parts, but most of the stoves they have seem kinda flimsy.  Any thoughts on the matter.

Chris
(Crappie Slayer)

MountainDon

Wood burning stoves are an item where you really do get what you pay for. I have to admit to a heavy bias towards Vermont Castings. We've owned three different models of theirs, in three different locations, since the first we bought in the late 70's.

Here's the Aspen in our cabin.

http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.msg65462#msg65462

Morso and Jotul also have great small stoves. Jotul makes some of its products in here in the USA but I think Morso are all imported from Denmark. All three are well made brands.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

southbalto

I would spend some time over at hearth.com before making any decisions.

There are a lot of guys that swear by the englander line (US made) steel stoves.  I'm sure one of their smaller models would suit you well.

If you want to go cast iron/more decorative maybe a jotul 602.........I don't suppose your going to need much heating a 16/16.

Good Luck!

Alan Gage

I've had two Englander stoves and have been happy with each (NC-13 and 17-VL).

Low cost basic stoves, nothing fancy. But they work well and have a good reputation for both quality and customer service.

http://www.englanderstoves.com/wood_stoves.html

The 17-VL is what I have now and I think it's a pretty sharp little stove. Nice large glass area. I'm heating just under 1000 sq. ft. with it (single story) without a problem. House is extremely well insulated. Pretty small clearances too so you can tuck it close to a wall or corner.

Lots of Englander (as well as other stoves) users on Hearth.com. You can search the forums for lots of good information:

http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/

Alan

southbalto

Hey Alan

I ended up going with a jotul castine for my place.  1.5 cubic foot firebox, cast iron, nice to look at.....
I'm 100% certain that a englander 13 would heat the place just as well if not better for about 1/3 the price.  From what I read on hearth.com the nc30 and 15 are pretty much the best bang for the buck stoves you can get.  I hear their customer support is top notch too...

Alan Gage

Forgot to mention, this is where I bought my 17-VL:

http://www.overstockstoves.com/50tvl17--epa-certified-noncatalytic-wood-stove--1250171200.html

I bought it last spring (late winter) for about $100 less than it's selling for now. Shipping is included in the price but you have to pick it up at the nearest freight depot (or whatever you call them). It was about a 50 minute drive for me. I checked a couple of the big box stores (that were much more than 50 minutes from me) and they were about $400 more expensive. I read that HD is clearing some out for around $550 but it's hard to find any stores that actually carry them on hand.

Alan

MountainDon

I meant to ask, does you heat have to come from a wood stove? They are nice, I love ours, but they do take up space and a 16 x 16 isn't exactly large. Have you considered a propane direct vent wall heater? We have one of those too and it requires a lot less floor space to be installed safely.

There's also the question / expense of a chimney. It would not be uncommon to spend more for the wood stove chimney as for the wood stove. Just a thought.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Crappie Slayer

I have thought about alot of different heating methods, but I have my heart set on a stove.  The price of the chimney and the stove does not really bother me.  I just want it to be nice and work well for many years.

I want to be able to load it up full of wood and go to bed and not have to worry about my house, well tiny house, lol burning to the ground.  So price for the stove is really not a worry.  That is one thing I dont plan to skimp at all on.

Thanks for all the great posts, it is awsome researching all the different stoves. 

MountainDon

With a installation using the stove mfg'ers clearances you should be safe. I have no reservations about building a fire in the stove and going to bed or leaving the cabin unattended for an afternoon absence with a fire going.

If you have done a good job insulating you will not need to load the stove up with wood when you retire for the night. I find that if I do that we awake at some point with the interior at 75 degrees or more and being unable to get back to sleep because it's too warm. I leave a small load (one 6 inch dia stick) when I hit the sack. Most mornings it is still 64 inside, maybe cooler when the temps drop near zero. It does mean having to kindle a new fire most mornings but that's easy; we keep a bucket of pine needles and kindling sticks handy. Hit it with a blast from a propane hand torch and the fire's going.  We use the propane heater to assist in hurrying the warm up when we arrive and for just a little heat on those early fall and late spring days when a wood fire is too much. Also we leave it set to come on in case the interior temp drops to 58 or so. That has only happened once or twice in three years, IIRC.

Bob S.

Has anyone had any experience with a Sedora Stove. I think it will burn wood pellets without any electricity.
I do not know if thay make a small stove.

southbalto

Haven't heard of them.......I don't think they're EPA approved.

Are you looking for a stove that can provide domestic hot water?

Squirl

Thanks for the heads up Alan.  I like that one a lot.  12 inches deep and 12 inches of clearance for a total intrusion into the room of 24".  And the glass looks great too.  From your picture with the dog, I thought the stove was larger.  I have a new front runner if I go that route.

Alan Gage

Quote from: Squirl on December 25, 2011, 01:18:09 PM
I like that one a lot.  12 inches deep and 12 inches of clearance for a total intrusion into the room of 24".

Looks like only 8" clearance to rear if you're using double wall pipe (10" with single).

Alan

Bob S.

I was thinking of using the boiler to provide hot water to heat the house with radiators.