20 x 30 Single Story in Central NY

Started by Squirl, August 03, 2011, 02:41:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hpinson

Squirl -- I make bellows for bagpipes, and also experimented with urethane based spar varnish for a durable clearcoat. It has proved most unsatisfactory -- and as in your wiki quote, sharp impact, which is normal for bellows, shatters the finish after a time. I'm mostly using oils now - tung and walnut oil which polymerize with heat, but cost would be prohibitive on siding and I have no idea what UV resistance would be.

kenhill

I used Penofin on my t-111 and rough cut cedar in Alaska and it has held up very well on vertical surfaces.  I applied it in 2005 and the only area that looks a little dry is south facing.  I have used it on decks and was not satisfied at all on horizontal surfaces.

SouthernTier

Quote from: Squirl on August 28, 2013, 05:02:21 PM
Cabot makes an oil based varnish.  I am already using a cabot oil based stain.  I wonder if it is better to use an oil based varnish or just restain with an oil based stain in a few years?
I used the same siding, and have the same climate, just a hundred miles or so west of you.

I used the Cabot Oil Based stain.  I think it was http://www.cabotstain.com/products/product/Clear-Solutions.html

So far, I have been happy with it, although it has only been a few years.  Only problem I have had is a little bit of mildew on parts of just one wall.  I think that is because that one area.  Maybe due to the fact I stored the novelty siding outdoors for most of the year before I put it on (tarp covered, but still).  Or else just not enough stain in that area.

Here is the most recent photo:

Squirl

Thanks for the feedback on the stain.  I will go with a second coat at some point.

Weekend progress.

drainl

speedfunk

so glad ya went with a nice wood siding...looks warm

Squirl

new land owner