some folks should not build their own houses

Started by Homegrown Tomatoes, June 19, 2008, 03:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homegrown Tomatoes

Went to look at a property today that was kinda out in the boonies.  Took my MIL with me.   ::)  Before we got to the place, MIL starts screaming in the back seat for us  not to buy it because the road was too bumpy.  That was before she saw the house.  When we pulled up infront of it, she went totally ballistic yelling "Don't buy!Don't buy!" in Korean.  Sad thing was, the house had some really neat elements... beautiful stone fireplace, hard wood and laminate floors... However it was an old single-wide trailer that had been built around by someone without access to a square or a level or a clue as to how to build.  My MIL followed me through screaming that it was dirty and stunk.  I was so glad the owners weren't there. 

ScottA

HG if you been around OK long enough you know that's standard in the country. I've seen some scary houses.

glenn kangiser

My mom and dad's house has been sinking into the ground -- at the convergence of two creeks - for 70 years.   It has been jacked up a dozen times - seems my brother said 8 inches or better last time on one corner.  I think he has it fairly stabilized now.

My mom does her own remodeling and I think she bought a square a few years ago.  The level -- what would you level to?

Your MIL would likely have a COW.  :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

NetHog

Stink & myself did a "log home builders" weekend class. One thing it did was alert us to various building 'errors' made in many log homes. We looked at some property with log homes on them. I think if we hadn't done the class, we might have purchased one.

Having become a little wiser, we did the only thing possible... RUN

glenn kangiser

Probably a good idea. 

Good info there.  I have read their site.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Homegrown Tomatoes

:)  Gotta add this... part of the reason MIL was so freaked out, as she explained to DH later yesterday evening, was that it looked like a "tiger or wild hog" would come rushing out of the woods any minute.  She was freaked out that it was "too remote, too isolated" as well as the house itself.  After I could stop laughing, I told her she might see a coyote, fox, or a bobcat, but tigers were HIGHLY unlikely.   I did like the land and the location was good.

Scott, there are TONS of old places like that around here, and that one was by no means the worst I've seen in my hunt.  Our old house (before we moved to WI) was kind of in that category though it didn't involve a trailer... it was built pre-statehood and the joists had all rotted out from under it.  We put in new joists and leveled the floor and it was great.  That unheated bathroom was hard to take in the winter, though.

ScottA

Funny you should say that, I saw a heard of wild hogs by the cabin the other night but no tigers. They ran like hell when they saw me though so I doubt they are dangerous. Could be interesting when we plant a garden though. My dogs will likely keep them away I bet.

Homegrown Tomatoes

yeah, i didn't argue too much about the wild hogs because I have seen them around, but not too often, and usually closer to the eastern border of the state.  After all, we were less than a mile off a paved road, and less than 5 miles of route 66.  In spite of the memorable scene in Old Yeller, the ones I've seen have been more afraid of me than I was of them.