Shrinking eggs

Started by ScottA, April 17, 2008, 03:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottA

I've been watching the grocery prices go crazy lately and in the past 2 weeks I noticed that eggs are getting smaller. What used to be considered a medium egg is now being passed off as a large egg. This reminds me of when flour, coffee and sugar package sizes all shrank a few years back while the price stayed the same. Who remember 5 pound bags of flour and sugar and 1 pound cans off coffee? Now they sell 4 pound bags and coffee is 13 ounces.

Homegrown Tomatoes

Funny you should mention it Scott... mom and I were just talking about the same thing the other day.  The grade A large eggs I bought a week ago were actually smaller than what used to be called medium... they looked like the first eggs when your hens start laying... kind of pitiful.  Groceries have gone up a ridiculous amount recently.  Unfortunately, it doesn't help that because of dietary restrictions from my doc we are having to buy far more protein and produce than usual (especially since we're living in town for the time being and don't have a real garden.)  Can't wait until we're in the position of producing 80% or more of what we eat again... I hate having to depend on the grocery store.