Looking for a Safety Harness Recommendation...

Started by sjdehner, March 31, 2009, 09:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjdehner

Hi -

I'm posting to see if anyone might be able to recommend a good safety harness for roof work.

Any advice in general using a harness? I've not used one before but there's no way on God's green earth I'm clamoring to the top of my house again without one. It was exceedingly unpleasant working so high without one.

Thanks for any thoughts!

S.
"Whether we and our politicians know it or not, Nature is party to all our deals and decisions, and she has more votes, a longer memory, and a sterner sense of justice than we do" -Wendell Berry

muldoon

MikeT

I used that one.  I never needed it as such.  But it was nice knowing it was there if all else fails.  The way the things work however, the clip is in the back, and if you are working alone and fall, well, you will be hanging there until someone comes by.

I got pretty good at reaching around and adjusting in (and you need to constantly adjust it so you have the correct amount of slack).

I am glad I had it and am more grateful that I didn't "need" it.

mt

MikeT

Of course roof jacks at the appropriate intervals and good boards really makes a difference.  When I was at the end of my gable straddling each side and looking down 30 feet, it was hard not to think about how beautiful it was up there and how dangerous too.

MountainDon

Another sort of a safety harness is the INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR RELEASE, WAIVER OF LIABILITY AND COVENANT NOT TO SUE papers you have the guys you hire sign. That worked for us.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

I have to do it every time I get on a high job in a manlift -- they can catapult you if they hit a hole--- rules... d*

I have had to wear a harness most days for the last few weeks and going to be for the next few months.  People just don't seem to like cleaning up spilled Iron Worker... [waiting]

Working around 12 to 32 feet now and through this job.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

JRR

When buying new, it is wise to take note of the certification date of safety equipment.  It has a mandatory expiration date ... for OSHA stardards.  I remember, perhaps wrongly, that the "life" of safety harnesses and lanyards is 5 years ... whether they've been in service or not.

You're probably not concerned with OSHA standards ... but no need to buy something that shouldn't still be on the shelf ...