Insurance

Started by tj4orange, February 16, 2007, 04:13:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tj4orange

I was just kind of interested on everyones experience with getting insurance and how complicated or not it was/is.  Also does it seem to very fair or expensive.  As I have been following this board and skiming some books on alt. methods of building it just struck me as most alt. buildings are not very previlent in my neck of the woods (actually city :'( ) which would be Northern Indiana.  My wife works at a title company and does all the paper work and closings and she seems to always have horror stories about diffent things.  Recently we were discussing log homes being neat.  (A extended family member owns Lauer Log Homes, google it if you'd like.  What a shameless plug ;) ).  And she was saying how the last few log homes she has closed on are having a awful time getting insurance or if they do they are nutso prices.  I was just courious on others experiences on log, earth, straw, concrete, etc. insurace issues.  Thanks!

Amanda_931

A couple of years ago I talked to a local insurance guy (his major insurer is Cotton States insurance--not one you'd expect up in Northern Indiana, at least).  He didn't seem to think it was that much of a problem, although I could expect a possibly not ridiculous surcharge for pier type foundations and woodstoves but not fireplaces, IIRC.

Talk to your insurance agent.  Talk to several of them.

Oh, yes.

And in order to insure a barn when I'm living in a travel trailer, I'd have to go to the Farm Bureau Coop, or somebody like that.

Erin

I don't know about other methods, but I have done some research on straw bale so far as mortgages and insurance companies.  Both are listed at the International Straw Bale registry.

tj4orange

Amanda_931

That they disrecommended State Farm?

glenn-k

I quit Farmers Insurance Group for trying every way they could to get out of paying or avoid going after a claim or another insurance co.  

I don't do Gieko -sp?

Allstate

You know what -- I can't think of one I like.  Just another form of State/lawyer sponsored gambling. :-/

MountainDon

I had trouble with Farmer's;they seemed to use a price book (for interior repairs due to water damage) that paid about 40% less than the real world. State Farm has been okay, but I haven't made any claims (and have gone out of my way not to... ate a couple hundred dollars here and there myself. Saving it for whatever "big one" comes along. Geico's been good but the claims have all been the others guys fault, 100%

glenn-k

My problem with Gieco is that they donate radar guns to the cops so that when you get a ticket they can increase your insurance.  A conflict of interest there if you ask me.

They probably all do it but that one was brought to my attention.

MountainDon

I didn't know that! And that's outrageous!

So far I've been able to stay under that radar too, if you know what I mean.

Big deal around here, next door in Albuquerque are the red light cameras and now the same cameras have radar as well. They have an ordinance that goes for a civil penalty, rather than an MVD violation. So far it's stood up to court challenges. $100 for the first time.

The intent, stopping red light runners and accidents, may be noble, but I get riled up at the idea of it all. It's  a fairly new thing here. I watching to see if rear enders go up. There are a bunch of crazy drivers around here.

glenn-k

I try to never go anywhere without a radar detector to remind me at various times to check and see that I am always within the legal limit. ::)

MountainDon

:bhumbsup  [smiley=lipsrsealed.gif]