Gas line drip leg?

Started by NM_Shooter, June 11, 2014, 10:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NM_Shooter

I have a neighbor who is in need of assistance, and I will be helping to install a new water heater.  One of the first things I noticed was that the gas line on the old water heater has no drip line.  Isn't this required by code?

The gas line itself runs along the tank platform base, then elbows up about 6" and finally transitions to the tank through some flex line.  I am assuming that since the gas line transitions up that perhaps sediment does not make it up the last bit, and the drip line is effectively the main feed and the elbow. 

Given that the gas line runs right on top of the base, there is not really a clean way to make a drip leg without it looking a bit hillbilly. 

Is the drip leg a required component?
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

Redoverfarm

I would say that you may be correct as there is no way to expel the water/moisture from the line.  Without seeing exactly the set up my first thought would be to replace the elbow with a "t".  On the end of the elbow place a short section of pipe(2" or so) and then a ball valve.  You could put a cap but the valve would be much easier to bleed the water. 

Patrick

I did the same thing with a ceiling mounted furnace,line came up from the floor into the furnace. inspector told me all appliances needed a drip leg regardless where the line comes from.I just put in a tee and added the leg.

flyingvan

I think you mean a sediment trap, not a drip leg ( drip legs go to the lowest point of the system and serve a different purpose)

2009 IRC G2419.4 (408.4) Sediment trap. Where a sediment trap is not
incorporated as part of the appliance, a sediment trap shall be
installed downstream of the appliance shutoff valve as close to
the inlet of the appliance as practical. The sediment trap shall
be either a tee fitting having a capped nipple of any length
installed vertically in the bottom-most opening of the tee or
other device approved as an effective sediment trap. Illuminating
appliances, ranges, clothes dryers and outdoor grills need
not be so equipped.

Any non automatic appliance where you can see the flame is considered an 'illuminating appliance, old water heaters included. 

Confusing the two is common, even for inspectors.   They might look identical but as Redoverfarm hinted, a drip leg traps moisture so belongs at the system's lowest point (otherwise a puddle forms in a horizontal pipe somewhere)  Mercaptan tends to pool there as well so expect a really strong 'gas smell' if you ever service it.  Sediment traps before appliances trap tiny particles that might clog orifices, especially in high efficiency appliances.  Old manual appliances  are easy to see a lack of flame if a clog happens. 
    It never hurts to have one though.
    Oh- and there can be multiple 'lowest points' in a system
Find what you love and let it kill you.

Danfish

Key wording: "downstream of appliance shut off valve", otherwise you have to shut off whole house  gas supply to purge the trap!

This is last weeks installation (trap... lower right hand @ control):

JRR

My state requires sediment traps on all gas appliances that have auto-ignition or auto-controls ... furnaces, water heaters, etc.  I think the concern is that some debris-particle may prevent a controlled gas valve from fully closing/seating ... allowing an unnoticed gas leak.