20x30 plans in northern fl./ putnam co.

Started by brocks, February 01, 2007, 10:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brocks

concerning 20 x30 plans single story in northern florida ,plans are great but they have to be ok'ed by a licensed engineer in florida  aka.  $1000 later which is high to me , but after feb. 28  $7000  ,they just started this in putnam co. so i should feel lucky considering all the  headachs i went  thru and  engineer said weer good to go    $6000 grand  is good any way you want to look at it .. more money for the house is what counts anyway... thanks keep everybody  posts..  :)

glenn kangiser

That is quite common in a lot of areas now -- nobody wants to take any responsibility for anything-- and for sure we need to be protected from ourselves at our own expense. :-/
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

brocks

hi there , very understandable just kinda frustrating when your under a deadline. i can't wait to get going , you know cutting some lumber and such...  keep everybody posted  

John Raabe

I've heard other such stories coming out of FL. On a simple one story house with a truss roof the lateral bracing study is real simple. It should take an engineer about 40 minutes Max to determine the braced walls (already there on the plans for the prescriptive path most places have) and add a few extra hold downs and hurricane clips to the roof. Good for 150 mph or what ever the design wind speed is. Whump with the stamp and you're done.

Of course Katrina has driven up demand ($$$), and, no doubt, made the required engineering process and documentation more complex than it need be.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

brocks

i know john, but after the hurricanes we had , all the technical stuff is there , talked to the building inspector he implied review of the plans by Florida engineer 500 to 750 but him being a government official ,said he couldn't recommend anyone. but it's going in the right direction , just gotta go with the flow they hold all the cards. even though building inspector was very helpful...

brocks

yes i was looking over my notes, and the inspecter said to mention tothe engineer worse wind speed 110 and exposure b and no impact zone .. said that would say me from over design/ build . your right of course all about the $$$