porch re-design ?

Started by tesa, April 08, 2010, 09:50:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tesa

we'll be turning the house on its side, i guess thats what we're doing, and building the porch along the long side of the 1 1/2
story, should we build the exact same post foundation as we're doing for the main structure, or can we get away with something
a bit smaller since its only a porch

my theory is it would be best to do each and every pier, weather for the house or for the porch exaclty the same,
i don't want the porch to sag in 15 years

i'd rather invest now, in the future of our home

so we'll need 17 holes with 17 footers and 17 p.t. posts all the same

thoughts?

tesa
"building a house requires thousands of decisions based on a million bits of information"-charlie wing

MountainDon

I'd build the porch foundation the same as the house. If anyone decides to enclose the porch and make it a part on the interior living space that will make it much easier/better.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

tesa

i thought so, it would just be too hard, what with digging different sized holes, which would mean a smaller
auger, more rental money, i just thought it would be best to knock them all out with one swoop

i also agree with you in that, if someday the girls want to frame it in, there'll be no need for any retro
engineering

heck, someday i might wanna frame it in, but then we'd be without a porch, and its something i've always wanted,
a big porch

i have such fond memories of all us kids playin' on maw maw's porch, oh and the sound of that screen door slamin'
shut

boy, did we get yelled at for lettin' that door slam

tesa
"building a house requires thousands of decisions based on a million bits of information"-charlie wing