Green Floor Joists

Started by Micky, March 09, 2005, 10:38:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Micky

If all goes well, I will be putting up the loft floor joists on my 20 x 32 cabin in three weeks.

There is a local mill that will cut 4x12 DF for me.  They said they can even give it a sel struct grade stamp.

Is it going to cause some trouble if I use the joists green?  Is it a good idea to put them up but not attach them to the studs to give them time to dry out.  This would be temporary for a month or so.  I would have the sheathing on the outside wall and they would rest on the ledger so they couldn't go anywhere.

Should I also wait on attaching the t&g flooring?  

Thanks

p.s. Here is my progress so far. http://www.geocities.com/merritt000/images/Cabin/050305-3.JPG

jraabe

That lumber sounds like a good find. Beams are likely to twist and check a bit as they dry. The longer you can let them sit in a dry, ventilated environment the better.

The decking is more critical and can cause problems when green with joints opening up. Use kiln dried here if you can (otherwise use lots of clamps and screws).

conohawk

p.s. Here is my progress so far. http://www.geocities.com/merritt000/images/Cabin/050305-3.JPG

Looks like a good foundation, Micky.  Was your concrete delivered by pumper truck?

Micky

Yes, They had to bring in a pumper because the ground is all sand (under the snow).

spinnm

We use a lot of green rough-sawn around here for decorative beams and decking.

We lag the beams with mongo lag screws but that may not  work for you since you're doing 4x12s.

If the mill regularly delivers they may have a banding machine.  Pay them.  Have them band it up.  Let it sit for a while.  We've done that with good success.

If you air dry it, you'll need some weight/pressure on it.  Some of the stuff twists like a pretzel no matter what you do.

Actually, we've never had any problems with the decking other than shrinkage.  Screwed, not nailed.

'Course, I don't know where you are.  We're trying to acclimate ours to around 10%.  You probably don't have that much difference between green and dry.  Would you perhaps get mold, mildew from banding?

Maybe not such a good idea. :-/

DavidLeBlanc

If your plans were stamped by a local permit office, you may be required to have graded, stamped lumber or you won't pass your framing inspection.

glenn-k

If you put stickers -appx 1/2" thick between the green boards under each row of bands so air can circulate before it is banded it won't have much problem with mold and mildew.  If tight and wet it will start almost right away.

Micky

Thanks for everyones help.  I picked up the lumber this morning.  They will be able to dry for 3 weeks in my garage until I get them up.

David, Thanks for the point on the grading.  The mill graded them selc struct for me even though I am in a county w/o a building inspector.