Which foundation for a 28x40

Started by holiday422003@yahoo.com, June 23, 2010, 01:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holiday422003@yahoo.com

So happy to find this forum, and just thanks to all for all the information already here.

I'm just starting to plan a house for some land I have purchased 70 miles north of Houston Texas.  I wanted to go the cheaper route with beam and pier but wondering if that is wise for the size of the house.  The land I purchased is in a restricted developement that requires at least 1000 square foot living space and I'm planning on using Country Plans Grandfather design with a length extention.  So with this in mind can I still use a beam and pier or would it be advisable to use a concrete foundation?   The land is set down so wind is not a factor and I'm protected by other homes and trees.  Thanks for any help on this.

rocking23nf

bayview

There are a few variables. . .    What are your soil conditions?   Water table?   Are just a few . . .    What have your neighbors previously used for foundations?

/
    . . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

holiday422003@yahoo.com

Thanks for the welcomes and replies.

I still have homework to do, but the homes around the properties have either slab or beam and pier.  The house we now have in the same subdivision is beam and pier and has weathered very well (we did not build this home) but is just as close to a lake but up a slight hill.  The property that we are looking to build on is lower and the homes are on slabs or beam and pier right up to the waters edge, so I know I can do either.  So, just to be clearer, does the size work for a beam and pier?  Which is cheaper? and which is easier to do for a DIY foundation with some advice and help from a pro?  Thanks for all your time

John Raabe

There is no reason that your modified design for the single story Grandfather Cottage couldn't be adapted to a pier and beam foundation. Such a foundation is usually less expensive and easier for an owner builder to construct. However, the Grandfather Cottage plan as designed has both a slab and a perimeter concrete crawlspace foundation plan but not a pier and beam foundation plan. A builder or home designer could help you modify the plan for these changes. It will help to use someone local that knows the systems that work best in that area.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

glenn kangiser

Slabs are easy if you have concrete help who knows what they are doing - If you don't know it yourself then you need someone capable of running the job as concrete is unforgiving and will make you work for repairs, being slow or making mistakes.  A bad mistake will require replacement of the slab and possibly plumbing that may be in the slab.

Plumbing needs to be in the slab in the exact location or repairs are costly and time consuming. 
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

holiday422003@yahoo.com

Thanks for all the replies.  I do believe I will have the plans modified for the beam and pier foundation with a certified builder supervising the site.  I would like to do as much of the work myself as possible with the knowledge that I might be redoing things to get them right.  Once again thanks so much and will post pics and progress.