Led light bulbs

Started by suburbancowboy, March 01, 2011, 12:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suburbancowboy

I am wondering if anybody here is using led light bulbs in there cabins or houses?  I will be off grid with my cabin and I am looking at wattage usage.  I picked up a led light bulb last weekend at wally world for 5 bucks.  It only uses 1.1 watts.  It hurts your eyes to look at it but doesn't seem to put out much light and seem kind of harsh.  At my house I use CF bulb which use 15 watts but I like the light it puts out.

Has anybody found any LED bulbs that they like?

MountainDon

Not yet. Either not enough lumens, too directional, too expensive.

The only LED's I've liked are the Christmas strings (in clear) that we use for illumination around the cabin to the shed. And the LED night lights we have; can't forget those.

I believe it is only a matter of time...

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

glenn kangiser

The flashlights with the Cree leds are getting good - over 200 lumens - but not great on cabin lights as Don mentioned.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

JRR

I have had all self ballasted lamps all through the house and outside.  I just installed my first LED.  9 watts.  Reflector style ... PAR shape (I believe).  $20 from Sam's.  Installed in a hallway staircase ceiling recess holder.  Super white light.  Looks good so far.

I will continue to purchase them, I think.

Shawn B

We are trying one of the Sam's Club 9 watt L.E.D. lights too. It's really bright, way brighter than any CFL. It doesn't bother me, but others didn't like it at first. I might try experimenting with a opaque Lexan cover to try to tone down the "super whiteness".

I think L.E.D.s will overtake CFL once they can reproduce a more natural light. Plus you don't have to worry about mercury, and the alleged health problems of CPF. Hopefully the price will come down to, $20 each is harsh.
"The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on Earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule." Samuel Adams

UK4X4

LED's

very low wattage for their light production
clear white light rather than orange glow
expencive

You can buy LED dimmers.........basicly turns it on and off at diferent rates
you can use difusers and coloured film to get the light you want
expencive......not when you concider their expected lifespan

For a small offgrid cabin I would run LED lighting, just for the ease of install , power consumption and no invertor required

Oh and for those of you in buggy areas............LED lights do not attract bugs !

....... where as florescents are a bugs best friend !

glenn kangiser

"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

suburbancowboy

I have seen the ones with the yellow on the end.  I will get one of them and report back.