Door in the log cabin

Started by Amanda_931, September 13, 2005, 09:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amanda_931

Nothing is straight in a vertical log cabin!

Any suggestions on how to put a regular swinging door in?  A z-door is built.  plenty of room to put icky looking store-bought 2x boards on either sides to plumb the sides, but I think I'd like something more in keeping with the cabin.  Push comes to shove, I guess I could use first cuts and just trim out the 2x.

(more and more convinced that that was the reason the guy I'd hired to do it for me decided he really had to make more money and work elsewhere--for, I've always suspected, the same wages and probably hours)

PEG688

Amanda   It can be done with straightedges guides and a good plunge router and some hand work.  Pretty hard to discribe how it all works and some of it I'd be figuring out while in work. It would be really cool 8) When it was done  ;)

Could you set the standard door with jamb and cut some quarter rounds out of logs as brick mold / trim ??   To cover the common jamb stock.

Good luck, HTBH  ;) PEG
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

glenn kangiser

"I am woman, hear me roar."  ----- come on Amanda, you know a lot of the guys aren't worth a flip anyway---- You'll probably have to do it yourself -- maybe you can supply the brains and let them supply the muscle.  He probably just couldn't figure it out and didn't want to look dumb. ;D

I put all my slabs together for my front door with dowels and glue then cut the door out of the slabs with a sawzall after the door was in place - it weighed about 400 lbs- I sealed the opening with refrigeration door seal.  The opening was cut at about a 15 degreee angle so the door wouldn't go through it and got tighter as it closed more.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Amanda_931

PEG says about what I was thinking I'll have to do.  It might even work!  And first cuts that might be suitable for trim can generally be gotten free from the sawmill.

Door itself is built.  5/4 rough cut pine half lapped, with a 2x4 z-brace.  I'm hoping there is silicone sealant in the half-laps.  And it has to be trimmed in at least two dimensions.

This got done a couple of years ago, and I've only worked on it sporadically since.  But it sure would be nice to have a dog- and cat- free workroom, with electricity, water if not running water, etc.

I've got someone else helping now (only partly just to keep me working!).  So we're finishing the floor, rechinking the logs, scything the overgrown meadow, that kind of wonderful stuff.   Also on the list is the bigger water tank on the other side, and the back wall of the little room--the one that looks out into the barn proper.