Beam to Floor Joist Connection?

Started by DirtyLittleSecret, May 21, 2009, 11:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtyLittleSecret

Just curious, but what are people doing (if any) to connect floor joists to beams?  Not finding much discussion on this subject, but am curious as to when and how this would be needed.
Thumb, meet hammer...hammer, meet thumb...

MountainDon

I used Simpson H1 brackets. They are meant to be used for rafters and trusses. I used them because they were cheap (found a bunch on pennies for the dollar at a garage sale) and they made it easy to position each joist right where I wanted with no movement. I used all the nail holes in the brackets plus air nailed some 16D's in toe-nail fashion; 6 inch wide beam so I spaced them out.

I placed the H1's first, nailed them to the beam and then dropped in the joists.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PEG688

On house's like John's with no foundation a H-1 or H 2.5 works well .

Basically hurricane ties for trusses , but they'll resist uplift on a floor joist as well.

When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

MountainDon

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

PEG688

DirtyLittleSecret

Thanks guys, will be picking up materials for beams and floor joists tomorrow night, and will start hammering this weekend...Last question: will I need to place 2 H1's per beam (ie: 4 per joist, or 2 on each side of a beam)?

PEG688

Quote from: DirtyLittleSecret on May 21, 2009, 11:59:40 PM

Thanks guys, will be picking up materials for beams and floor joists tomorrow night, and will start hammering this weekend...Last question: will I need to place 2 H1's per beam (ie: 4 per joist, or 2 on each side of a beam)?

The H-1's slide onto the joist 1 each end , you'll see how they work when you get one in your hand. On the end joists the first and the last you'll need H-2.5 two right hand , two LH again one on each end of the joist. 

MountainDon

I used one per joist end (2 per joist total). I placed them on the inside of the beam to keep the shiny metal out of view.

DirtyLittleSecret

Exactly how I envisioned it.  Much of this stuff is fairly straight forward, but just enough to begin second guessing ones self.  Thanks for confirming for me guys!