finding iron pipes [surveying]

Started by mark brown, July 10, 2005, 02:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark brown

ok it is a grassy area and mowed and i am close within a 10' x 10' area.  I watched the surveyor on another site.  he had a madnetic locator and found them easily, they cost $ 600.  do not have metal detector but might run an add in the paper for someone with one.

any Ideas, ?

Mark

peg_688

Mark if your down to 10 x10 could you just use a shovel plunged in at a angle or a edger the same way till ya hit something ??   All it would do would be to airrate the grass and you might get luckly . HTBH  ;)PEG

mark brown

have tried that somewhat, that area is up the road in someones front yard, found one of 4 in my yard, and it was lying flat, so put a marker at each end of it.  going to run an ad in the loval swap sheet

mark

peg_688

You know that might work . Some one with one of those metal finder deals might want a a reason to use it . And ya might make a new friend  :)Good luck , HTBH  ;)PEG

glenn-k

You may check at a local rockhound store- or gem and mineral club - see if they know some one with a metal detector.

Larry

Two things that come to mind.  Woodworking stores sell metal detection wands (like they use at the airport) for finding nails in board before running them thru equipment.  Someone in the area may even have one and let you borrow it.  The other idea is one of the cheap magnetic stud detectors.  It would be slow but it would probably find it.  The final option is to run over the area with your lawn mower.  Mine always finds the most amazing thing in the grass.