bridging

Started by dogneck, August 20, 2008, 07:15:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogneck

Nail first--- ask questions later????
on the 14x24,  I'm putting in solid bridging  right down the middle.   I nailed about half of them in, and then afterward saw a photo of  bridging being placed straight in a row.   I offset mine so each one was staggered- so I could nail them in.     Is that OK.   If they need to be in a straight line,  then I'll have to get some simpson metal,  because I don't have anymore scraps that can be used.

MountainDon

Staggered blocking is much simpler to install than having it all lined up in a row.

There's no need to have it in a straight row. No need to worry.

As for not having any more scraps I believe it's a toss up as to whether or not the Simpson steel are any cheaper than buying 2x's to cut into solid blocks. When I did the floor on my 15.75X30 I bought a couple extra 2x10's with blocking in mind. As it turned out there were a couple of the 2x10's that were less desirable for floor joists, so they ended up being used for blocking.  :)  Staggered, or alternating either side of the centerline we snapped with a chalk line. These don't have to fall under a panel edge either, anywhere will do.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

phalynx

Straight line bridging is just showing off...    d*