Franklin Fireplace, cherry wood, and insulation finds, Craigslist

Started by poppy, May 16, 2009, 06:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppy

Picked up a Sears mod. 143 Franklin Fireplace yesterday.  I didn't have my camera with me, so no pics. but it is very similar to what Vogelgang makes (vogelzang.com).  It's actually better than the Vogelzang model because it has a built-in damper at the top of the firebox (instead of in the pipe itself) with a front operating knob with notches, that slides in and out.

I really regretted not having the camera because the most direct route from the source to my farm was to take the Anderson Ferry (west of Cincinnati) across the Ohio River into KY and then east back to Ohio.  I could have had some good pics. as I Forded the muddy Ohio (in my Ford Ranger)  :D

The guy started out at $250 and came down to $100 because he wanted to clean out the storage unit before the week end.  I couldn't pass it up.

A second Craigslist find was about 250+ bd. ft. of kiln dried rough sawn cherry that I intend to use for flooring.  Most of the boards are at least 8" wide and 10' long.  Total cost $320

The best find was all the free rigid foam insulation board that I could haul.  I ended up getting 4 loads of mostly 1.75" to 2.5" thick 4x8 sheets.  It was stored outside so was a little funky, but then it was FREE.  I'm not positive of the type, but it certainly has fiberglass fibers in the grey paper covering on both sides. It is definitely not styrofoam and appears to be closed cell.  Any idea of type would be greatly appreciated.

At any rate I should have enough for 3" in the roof, 1.75" in the walls, and one layer of 2.5"-3" in the floor.  Did I mention that it was FREE.  :)  I have pics. to post once I start my cabin building thread.

Just started using Craigslist and in some respects it is better than the surplus building materials and farm auctions that I have been going to for the last 2 years.

Almost forgot.  Also got about 20 sf of Brazilian teak flooring for $20.  It is prefinished T&G 1/2" thick and should work great for my bath room.

My new pin foundation is coming along and I now have the old house, garage, and part of the barn full of salvaged materials.

Beavers

Yep, Craigslist rocks!  [cool]

I've found a ton of good deals there!

Don_P

I've used polyisocyanurate (polyiso) insulation with that facing. Sorry it's been too long to remember the brand  ??? IIRC it was R7/inch but drifts down to ~R6 after a few years. You might want to google along those lines and see if it adds up, it has been awhile.

poppy

Thanks Don, Polyiso with glass facing is exactly what I have and it is indeed closed cell.  I mentioned that most boards are 4'x8', but there are also some 4'x4' tapered boards (1/2" per ft. taper) that are used on flat roofs for drainage, as I understand it.

2 tapered boards put together will give me 3" thickness for my roof. [cool]

A brief search finds that this stuff gives an R value of from 5.6 to 8 per inch, depending on density.  Hopefully, the tapered boards will have density on the high side.

I had bought some of this stuff (4x8) at an auction a couple of years ago and had no idea what it was.  I've also seen the tapered boards at surplus building supply auctions and now I know what it is.

I guess some of this polyiso is sold with foil facing also.  I have considered a foil faced insulation for under the floor (with air gap, of course).

I'm really liking this find.  Thanks again Don for the help.  ;D