Used lumbers for floor joists....???

Started by PHU, April 02, 2014, 09:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHU

hey guys...

Just looking for some educated opinions here.  Here's the deal....A guy offers me some really nice 2x10 lumber and 3/4 plywood sub-floor from a home built in 1974  he's tearing it down.  I was thinking about using them for the cabin's sub-floor and floor joists? 

Since it's used materials...am i compromising strength in any way? Please give me your honest thoughts as I needed to move fast on these before he sold it to someone else.

Thanks in advance.

rick91351

I would not be afraid of the 2x10s providing they are unharmed by dry rot - water damage - excessive drilling in the wrong places cutting and so on.  The sub-floor  ??? Would depend on how it comes up and what it might look like.  If the sub floor is glued down it is not going to come apart unless he has a method I do not know of.  If glued down also there is a good chance that the 2x10 will be pretty trashed.  Just my opinion..... 

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

PHU

Quote from: rick91351 on April 03, 2014, 04:05:31 AM
I would not be afraid of the 2x10s providing they are unharmed by dry rot - water damage - excessive drilling in the wrong places cutting and so on.  The sub-floor  ??? Would depend on how it comes up and what it might look like.  If the sub floor is glued down it is not going to come apart unless he has a method I do not know of.  If glued down also there is a good chance that the 2x10 will be pretty trashed.  Just my opinion..... 

thanks! will find out from him.  However, can you elaborate more as to how the 2x10s would be trashed?  I mean...how bad does it have to be before it become a structural issue? 

rick91351

https://engineering.purdue.edu/~jliu/courses/CE479/extras/Notching_&_Boring_Guide_A11.pdf

http://www.safeguardeurope.com/applications/dry_rot.php

Lot of home owner post inspection get a little stupid when they start running DIY ducting and electrical.  No one will notice if I cut this here or take a chunk out over there. I can just bore a hole any old where type stuff.
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

rick91351

I also forgot to mention huge chunks of ripped up plywood glued to the edge if plywood was glued down.  You know the stuff you look at and think to yourself this is pretty trashed.... It looks all used up or all most used up.  Good luck...