Got Nailed

Started by sparks, October 16, 2007, 01:27:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparks

Last Thursday, I got hit with a trojan virus. A few days and lots of bucks later I got back on line. Be careful folks with the upcoming season.  Make sure your firewalls, anti virus, and all that other stuff is up to date and working well. I thought mine was, but hadn't updated it for quite a while. There are a lot of really sneaky bastards out there. Just don't anyone here to share my grief.
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

glenn kangiser

Adware can mess your computer up too.  I put links in the free stuff somewhere to free software to prevent about all of that.  I still have occasional lockup problems but nothing serious.

I run ZoneAlarm free, AVG free antivirus.

Watch for impostors on this type stuff too.  They will sometimes charge you money for free stuff.

I was running Norton, but having troubles so dumped it for the free stuff.  It is a bit of bloatware but I don't think it was causing all my problem.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

sparks

Hi, Glenn   Yeah, the adware really creamed me after the trojan punched the 'hole'.  I hope no one here has to go thru what I did the last couple of days. (how do I get a mad smiley here?). Grrrrrrrr.
My vessel is so small....the seas so vast......

glenn kangiser

>:(  Dang virus hackers. >:(

My sons always gave me a bad time about always running a lot of protection.  Said it slowed my computer way down.  Hmm -- maybe it does but it still works.  They have both had major problems.

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

benevolance

currenty experiencing problems... running avg and it will not clean my system...Says there are errors every time I run a complete scan and try to remove the viruses it finds :(

glenn kangiser

Got a name on the virus?  Search it for removers if you do.

There are other free checkers out there also.  Maybe another one will remove it-- if you can get online to get it.

benevolance

all trojan horses glenn

every time I start the computer avg runs a diagnostic scan and finds about a dozen trojan horses.....I  look at the names and they all have trojan horse . something in them... they all look the same to me.

but it has been several days now and I spend 5 minutes every time I turn on the computer and still I have to sit through the annoying process of healing the computer and putting files in the vault... it is almost like one file escapes detection and re- writes all the other  nasties so I have to repeat the process again and again.... :-/

glenn kangiser

Some are tricky.  Some programs have a hard time getting rid of them.

benevolance

MountainDon

Some need you to go in with a special removal program. Symantec had one I used once to remove something or other. There were specific steps that needed to be followed to rid the offensive thingy  permanently. Otherwise it kept regenerating itself with every restart.

I still use some Norton/Symantec products, but their products have bloated a lot since the time when Peter Norton himself was involved. One of the great success stories.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.