LOCAL BUILDING RESTRICTION

Started by MB25ACRES, August 02, 2006, 10:42:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MB25ACRES

I talked to the building deptment and they said the minimum for the county is 22 x 24. I like the two story and the 1 1/2 story but are not wide enough. has anyone widened these.they will also not allow mobile homes. i was going to live in single until built. they said I can live in camper. but family of five. thanks Mike

bfam5

I did not even think to ask my county if the 20' wide 1.5 story was a problem. I am going to call the zoning lady right now and check to see if they are going to dictate the size of my home. It seems a little Orwellian for a government agency to tell me I can't build a 20' x 40' home.  However, I was thinking I would build it 20' wide and then add a 12' shed addition soon after I got a breather from the first phase.  If you were to do that wouldn't it appease the zoning folks?  My county will allow mobile homes temporarily.  They issue 18 month permits and then extenstions on a case by case basis.  

My family of 5 has been living in a 31' travel trailer for 3 weeks now 80' from my parents home.  We use their bath and kitchen facilities and get power from them.  It is a blast.  Just like a camping vactation! ::)  We hope to be in our trailer in the next week or two so all along we have known it would be short term.  Not short enough in some opinions.  It has been trying even though it is mostly just a sleeping facility.  If we had to cook in it I can't imagine the chaos.  I am sure it could be done though.  Where there is a will there is a way.

Good luck.

Daddymem

Is that minimum width for the whole house or if there is at least a portion that wide ok?  Could you bump out say the kitchen the extra 2 feet and satisfy zoning and keep the rest of the house 20'?  Or add a mud or storage or utility roomto one side or a screen room or porch to get around it?

glenn-k

What about longer to get the same or more square footage - is that allowed?  or an add on as in the Enchilada plans - or add a shed roof side porch and enclose it for a laundry etc.