small house in moab

Started by jan nikolajsen, April 19, 2010, 11:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

considerations

"The biggest danger is the city getting on our case for squatting without a CO."

If they do, maybe presenting the scenario of your family draining local funds by utilizing the services of a homeless shelter will keep you only dancing with them until spring and more progress has been made.

EaglesSJ

Alot different from the eco friendly, small footprint home that inspired much of my build. What changed to make you want to head in this direction?

MountainDon

There is a learning curve. It took me a while but I found that working with three sizes of knives, going larger for successive coats and using thin layers more than thick. It also minimizes sanding.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

jan nikolajsen

Quote from: EaglesSJ on November 28, 2010, 03:21:04 PM
Alot different from the eco friendly, small footprint home that inspired much of my build. What changed to make you want to head in this direction?

You're right. Less innovative for sure.
Moving back within city limits basically limited my options to what's allowed.

We had a composting toilet. This is now out.
Gray water is technically permitted, but so contrived that the added expense rules it out.
Off the grid is legal, but impractical when the grid is there. We will have a 1000w PV inter-tie system.
The home part of the current house is about 700, the other was 550. What makes this look big is the shop which now is attached.

jan nikolajsen

Got the grid inter-tie solar array installed.

MountainDon

When you have time some of us (me) would like details on your PV grid tie syste, including how good or how poor the power company buy back plan is.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Sassy

Looks great, but doesn't look so small!   c*
http://glennkathystroglodytecabin.blogspot.com/

You will know the truth & the truth will set you free

jan nikolajsen

Quote from: Sassy on January 04, 2011, 02:07:08 PM
Looks great, but doesn't look so small!   c*

You're right, not that small. Bigger than the last one, for sure. We have 12" thick walls, so for a real idea about square footage we calculate it on the inside (like you would a strawbale house, for instance), and it gives us 640'-ish for living divided on two stories, plus a 500'-ish shop.

Xyz

Hi

Any news?

Hope you are all well.

xyz

MountainDon

Moab in summer is hot as hell. Jan and family are probably off somewhere more cool.

Xyz