20x30 roofline question

Started by bmafg, February 01, 2010, 11:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmafg

Just kicking around ideas at this point.

What would be the plusses and minuses to a roof line like in the attached pic.
Basically it's one story front, two story rear. Close to saltbox but ridgeline is centered over house.
Front dormer would be for stairs headroom and open entryway next to stairs. Extension shed off rear is porch space.

Jim, the BMAFG

glenn kangiser

I see a couple ways to look at it, Jim...

Either gaining space by the raised back roofline and dormer or losing some space by the steep slope in the front.

On thing you would gain is that it would not be like everyone else's match box.

I like the 12/12 pitch myself but that is just me.  You might take a few minutes and think what you would do with it and how you would use the space as well as your space needs.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

bmafg

I have given it some thought. Sleeping areas and bath up with windows toward view -- out the back. The extra space is nice but not very important but the view is important.

The not-like-every-other-box is a draw for me.

Jim

poppy

Jim, I am a believer in "form follows function."  My roof line developed based on a combination of what I wanted on the inside plus the overall design "look."

If you keep the flat roof on the dormer, that will certainly be unique from most dormer designs which use a gable roof line.  Just my opinion, but I think a flat roofed dormer is not only cheaper to build but also looks cheaper.

If if were me (and it's not), I would lay out the "perfect" floorplan and then build the outside around itl.

MountainDon

Quote from: poppy on February 02, 2010, 10:43:37 AM

If if were me (and it's not), I would lay out the "perfect" floorplan and then build the outside around itl.

That's the practical approach and I second that. 

As for the idea shown I have no problems with it.

What is BMAFG? 
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

bmafg

BMAFG = Balding Middle Aged Fat Guy