20x30 1.5 story--basement plans?

Started by jmacfarland, July 10, 2006, 11:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmacfarland

The site says crawlspace, pier and post, and slab plans, but nothing for a full basement.. Thought I saw a couple of folks on here that had put this puppy on a full basement. Just wondering if there were any additions to the plans or if those changes were easy for a competent (my wife doesn't agree) DIY'er to modify for the sake of getting permits.

Thanks,

Jeff

jraabe

There is nothing much to changing the crawlspace foundation into a basement foundation. The wall needs to get 8" thick on a 8x16 footing. Also a bit more rebar, but that can be done with a few changes on the foundation plan.

It is trickier to get a full basement stair in (if required). This is the reason that the only plan that comes will a full basement layout is the 20' wide Universal Cottage. There the full code "U" shaped stair works very well for such a layout.

It could probably do much the same thing in the 1.5 story layout when a dormer above makes the headroom at the stair work out.

I should probably just design it like that - Huh?  ;) (I think it might take a bit longer floorplan to have the spaces work well with a fatter stair.)

Then, there is this stair option... http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1152243875.
That layout could be stacked so it runs both up and down.

jmacfarland

Well we live in tornado alley so a basement is a good idea unless you own a pair of ruby slippers and are friends with the good witch ;) Plus, if we're going to be digging down ayway, my thought is we might as well spend a few extra and put in a full basement for the added space. We were planning on adding a dormer or two anyhow.
I guess my ownly concern is how much I'll have to modify the plans to get permits and keep moving forward. I got a really great estimate on doing it with ICFs and SIPs yesterday, but obviously we'd need to change the plans for that as well. So it would be full basement, SIPs, 12 ft. balloon framing, dormer(s), etc. Just wondering if we shouldn't hand them over to someone with more experience, although I like the idea of digging in. I'm a decent carpenter and/or electrician but I don't know much about structural engineering or architecture, know what I mean?

Thanks,

Jeff

Amanda_931

My aunts and uncles in Iowa (also tornado land) had those purchased basement stairs, might have been Bilco.

http://www.bilco.com/foundations/store/shopdetail.asp?product=1BD%2DS%2D1

No problem with lengthening the house, finding headroom and places to put the holes in the floor, but you do have to plan this before you get too far with your foundation/basement walls.

For all I know they're available used on eBay.