Regulator (?) in an RV stove

Started by Lindym, February 24, 2016, 06:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lindym

We are living in our small house, 745 sq ft. and are planning on installing a propane 3 burner stove that came out of a travel trailer. It's a Coleman from 1975. It's in decent shape, but there seems to be an issue with the regulator (?) under the cook top. We have dealt with propane for a number of years so Hubby is ok working on it. If the unit is bypassed the stove will light and work (doing this outside), but we have to assume it's in there for a purpose, but I can't find an answer.

Can someone explain this unit?
Located in beautiful Aeneas Valley, Okanogan County, WA

MountainDon

Not all RV ranges will have a regulator in the range itself. Those that do need that regulator to further reduce the pressure to the design pressure. The engineers designed their burners to work at a lower pressure. That is usually done to make for a more efficient burn. That regulator won't drop the pressure much, maybe down to 10" WC from the 11" WC the main two stage regulator puts out. But for best range operation that third stage regulator should be in place and operating.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Lindym

Thanks for the quick response, MountainDon. So in theory it should be safe to use this way until we can get the part? I'm waiting on the build-in for this stove to get my kitchen finished up.
Located in beautiful Aeneas Valley, Okanogan County, WA