43 trusses at an auction, should we go for it?

Started by redbird, August 31, 2011, 07:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redbird

Hi all,
So we just found 43 -22 1/2 ft length trusses available for sale at auction this weekend.  Would love to get some advice! 

We are pretty set on building a 20 x 34 2 story, or 20x 36 one story.

Is this the right size we need?  Seems like it?  How do I know the pitch?  We don't have the plans yet, just found these trusses online tonight and since we have a place to store them we might go for it.  Anyone have advice on how much to bid?  Is one truss about $20 bucks or so usually?

Help!  I'm not ready yet to make a decision, so really hoping to rely on your advice at this point. d*
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
― Woody Guthrie

MountainDon

Without knowing what width building they were designed for it's hard to say if they are usable for the plans you have. Trusses will be designed to be supported by the upper wall plates at a particular point. At least that is my understanding of trusses.

Check with a local truss manufacturer so see what the cost for new would be.

A pitch number like 4/12 means that for every 12 inches of horizontal distance the upper chord rises or falls 5 inches.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

redbird

HAHA, what, you mean its not that easy?  Shucks, ah well.  I guess if the lot goes for a buck, it might be worth it.   :)

"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
― Woody Guthrie

suburbancowboy

If you have a place to store them I would put in a low ball bid if you get them design to them and if they don't work use the wood for framing.  By the way my 120 lb snow load 20' scissor trusses where 100 a piece.