Sizes of ...

Started by DavidLeBlanc, February 21, 2005, 01:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidLeBlanc

Fixtures, appliances and furniture?

jraabe

The best resource is Architectural Graphic Standards. Very expensive but your library probably has a copy.

More realistic for the owner/designer library is Charles Wing's, Visual Handbook of Building and Remodeling.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/076210192X/qid=1109033904/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-8284540-1371826?v=glance&s=books

Epiphany

My motto is "REAL women carry measuring tapes"....  When in doubt, measure.  Always a bit hit at parties.

Lowes.com is also good for measurements and most appliance web sites will give their specs...  :o)

hunter63

LOL
That is probably the toughest part about planning!

I got into the "tape habit" when trying to figure out where stuff would go in the cabin.
How high is a table, how wide are stairs, hallways, stoves, refrig.

Every thing looks so big when empty......................

DavidLeBlanc

So, how thick is a 2x6 stud wall with it's wallboard, vapor barrior, sheathing, "house wrap" and siding? I've heard, but can't confirm that it's nominally 12" (1 foot).

Thanks!

borgdog

That depends on exactly what finishes etc you use (drywall vs wood inside, T1-11 vs sheathing and additional siding, etc).  Basic wall with drywall on the inside and 5/8" T1-11 on the outside would be roughly 5 1/2" + 1/2" + 5/8", or about 6 5/8".  Now that said, if you are looking for interior dimensions, you would only subtract the interior finish and the stud thickness as the exterior finish is outside the rough framing dimension.  So typically with 2x6 framing you would take 6" (5 1/2" for the 2x6 and 1/2" for interior drywall) off each side for a total of 1 foot (ie the 16' wide Victorias cottage I'm going to build will only be 15' wide inside).

DavidLeBlanc

Ah! thanks: that's what I was looking for, the inside diminsion! :)

That means a "Builder's Cottage" is 12-4/4" wide! ;)

Hallways are usually 40" wide and ditto for kitchen aisles?

jraabe

36" to 38" is more common for hallways in smaller houses.

spinnm

David,

If you don't have CAD s/w there are templates that you can buy for hand drawing.

You'll need to go to a store that caters to the drafting trade.  Most popular is 1/4" scale.  Have most appliances.  Then you can get a second one that has furniture.