Is Pressure Treated Necessary?

Started by Kodakjello, February 05, 2007, 09:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kodakjello

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out whether or not I should be going with Pressure treated built-up beams for my pier and beam foundation. I'm building a pier and beam foundation on 12" concrete piers. The beams will be 36" above ground sitting in CB88 brackets. There will be a wrap-around porch on all sides so the walls will be protected from direct rain and snow. The porch will use cedar lumber and the hot dipped galvanized CB66 brackets.

My question is this: Can I get away with untreated 2x12s for the house beams? :-/

The reason I ask is because I have just read some very distressing information about ACQ treated lumber and metal brackets   :( . They don't seem to play well together at all, even with Hot Dipped Galvanized brackets. I'd hate to have to replace rusted-out 8x8 brackets five or ten years after they'd been installed!!

Your input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Shaun

24x32 Maison-sur-Marais

jraabe

If your beams are out of the weather (under the house qualifies) and more than 8" above the soil you will not be required to use pressure treated lumber. Most houses are built with PT wood only at connections where concrete meets framing (sill plates) and where wood is in contact with soil (such as bearing posts).

If you are in termite country you will need to consider that aspect as well but there are other treatments and things like termite shields that will keep those critters at bay.

Kodakjello

Thanks for the quick reply John! Throughout my design process I has assumed that pressure treated beams were necessary. It just hit me this morning that it might not be so cut-and-dry. Your comments have nudged me towards standard 2x12 instead of PT 2x12 for the foundation beams.

Shaun