Any interest in an ICF build?

Started by MushCreek, March 31, 2012, 03:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MushCreek

I know folks on here tend to build in wood, the ultimate DIY medium. After more changes than a newborn with the trots, we've finally settled on a design, and a material. Our little empty nest will be ICF, both basement and main floor. Why? Besides durability and energy efficiency, it occurred to me that stacking 7 lb. ICF units might be easier on this old body than framing and standing up walls. On my barn, I had to admit defeat and hire a framing crew. If I do that on the house, it will cost me more to go stick-built than ICF. My contractor specializes in ICF, and he will tell me what's needed and required as I stack the house. I will hire his crew to pump the concrete, AKA 'The tricky part'.

If there's interest, I'll start a new build thread with lots of pictures and (hopefully) great stories about building in this medium.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Alan Gage

I'd certainly be interested to watch the progress.

Alan

MountainDon

I think that would be super, MushCreek. We'll give you a discount on your membership.   ;D
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

waterbug

I would be very interested in seeing that building process documented as building with ICF's interests me.

MushCreek

Okay- sounds good! I'll be heading back to SC soon, so there should be progress to report by the end of April. So far, all I have is a hole in the ground, but ICF goes fairly quickly. I'll start a build thread once I have some pictures to share.
Jay

I'm not poor- I'm financially underpowered.

Erin

Quote from: MountainDon on March 31, 2012, 08:41:42 PM
I think that would be super, MushCreek. We'll give you a discount on your membership.   ;D

What a deal!! [cool]
The wise woman builds her own house... Proverbs 14:1