New Hardie Plank Siding, HZ5 & HZ10

Started by MountainDon, September 05, 2011, 11:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MountainDon

The other day I noticed the hardie Plank siding at Lowe's appeared to be different from the material I used on our cabin a couple years back. It was thicker and appeared to have more wood fiber when viewed from the backside. Still listed as non combustible, It was marked as being HZ10.

From the James hardie website I have learned they now have a climate zone system and two products; HZ5 for more northern and HZ10 for southern. As luck has it we live most of the year in an HZ10 rated area of NM. Our cabin though is located in an HZ5 rated area. The local dealers all stock HZ10 products.

http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner/hardiezone.shtml

I have emailed hardie to see what they have to say. No reply yet as I just did that tonight. I'll pass on whatever they have to say.

I was wondering if anyone has run into this new version of the cement fiber planking?

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Kiwi55

It has been around for at least the past year. I have a similar situation, I live in Missouri, an HZ5 area, but are building in Mississippi, and HZ10 area. I usually buy my material in Missouri and take it with me to work on the cabin, can't do that with Hardi siding.
The most noticable difference is the color, the HZ10 has a much more yellow color primer.
...Paul

MountainDon

Hardie replied and if the product is used in the wrong zone the warranty is voide.

So now I'll have to check out what the price would be to have a big box store here special order the HZ5. There are no nearby dealers in a HZ5 area.

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Native_NM

Is the Santa Fe store in the same zone as your place?
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

MountainDon

Dang! Never thought of Santa Fe... it is HZ5. That opens up Lowes and HD for possible better pricing than the hardware store / lumber yard in Los Alamos.  Thanks.

NM_Shooter

Don, did you check the Home Depot at Cottonwood? 

What is the failure mode of using in an incorrect temperature zone? 
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"

MountainDon

That was included in my query, but the extremely short reply simply stated the warranty was voided.

HZ5 is supposed to withstand freezing temperatures better.

I was wondering what the chances of the Santa fe stores carrying much in stock, what with their architectural rules that seem to mandate stucco almost everywhere.  ???

Anyhow I'll find out more in the New Year. Maybe use the Lowe's in Espanola.

beckhamk

mt don - did you use this on your cabin build?  I have really been swaying back and forth between a hard plank or some sort of log or chink siding....  I love the real wood look, but dont really want to worry about the maintenance down the road.  how do you like the planking you have now?

MountainDon

Our cabin has the older version of hardie Plank siding, the one that had no climate divisions.

We like it because it is non combustible and with good quality paint won't require repainting anytime soon.

Our neighbor down the hill from us did their exterior with 2x6 "shaped face" siding that simulates the log cabin appearance. It is a couple - three years older than our cabin. It needs some major refinishing maintenance right now as the wood is beginning to show discoloration/weathering. We considered the same siding as we liked the appearance of their cabin while we were in the planning stages. But I was against it because of past experiences with wood exteriors.

A friend up there with a ten year old "log look" cabin actually applied deeply tinted stain this year as they also had weathering issues with the previous "clear" finish.

Again, I am very happy with our Hardie Plank. But that is me; low maintenance lover me.   ;D

NM_Shooter

I installed it as well.  I wanted good fire resistance, but I also wanted something that the critters would not chew on.  We have problems with porcupines chewing up everything, and I am not around enough to be able to attend to playing defense.

The hardiplanks are great.  They have a couple of versions, one has woodgrain like ridges, and once painted you can't tell the difference without knocking your knuckles on it.  It is also snap-line straight, and goes on fast.  Down side is that you can blow out an edge or corner if you are not careful in setting up your airgun. 

A significant amount of my cabin is also under snow for a long part of the year, subject to lots of moisture and freeze/thaw cycles.  So far, I like this stuff a lot.

Other drawbacks are that it is heavy, and the dust from cutting it is not to be messed with.  Wear a good mask.
"Officium Vacuus Auctorita"