reverse permitting

Started by Bobmarlon, April 20, 2011, 08:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobmarlon

when I started my cabin I intended for it to be off grid with no electricity I have now realized it is way to awesome for that so I am going to try and go and get a permit even though my cabin is totally framed and roofed and half sided.   Does anyone have any experience getting permits after the fact and want to share there experience. 

Native_NM

Did you take lots of pictures?

We rebuilt a small, mobile commercial facility in NM.  All mobile buildings here require a special stamp from the State of NM.  Our building had the stamp, and was built to the 1998 UBC if my memory is correct.  We made some modifications, including windows and doors, as well as HVAC and siding.  When it was done, the state wanted to see the permits, etc. for the changes we had made.  "What permits?", I said.  d* d*

I hired a local PE to come out and review our work.  Since I had taken dozens of photos, we were in good shape.  He asked us to remove a few areas of work so he could verify for himself the build quality.  Off came some siding!  He then basically made new drawings from the old drawings, and stamped them with his PE stamp.  I took the new stuff and applied for the permits.  The state of NM then sent their inspector out, who looked at the new stamped drawings, and worked with us to get the new stamp.  He was a nice guy, and I was very honest about what we had done.  I really didn't think the work we did necessitated permits.  Our "new" facility was actually upgraded to the new code on the new drawings.  The big change was converting all the romex to conduit.  It cost me a few thousand for the PE, and was worth every dollar.  He later helped me with the foundation plan.

If you took lots of pics, or if your build is not too complicated, I think you should be OK.  The big issue would be the footings in my opinion.
New Mexico.  Better than regular Mexico.

MountainDon

Before doing anything, I believe you should check with the local authorities about the foundation requirements. Piers and beam may not be accepted well in some localities. Make like you are checking into what would be required for a future build.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

archimedes

Be aware that once you alert the authorities that your building exists,  there is no way to put that genie back in the bottle.  If you can't make whatever modifications that they require (or it's cost prohibitive) you may have to demolish the building.

In my experience,  anytime you go outside the normal permitting procedure it throws the whole permitting dept. off balance.  They know how to check off boxes on a checklist in the proper order,  but anytime you change that "checklist" you might as well be re-inventing the wheel.  

Building dept's vary widely by locality.  Your mileage will vary.

As Don advised,  I'd do a lot of research first to make sure that your build does conform to the code before contacting the authorities.  Maybe even ask an architect to look at the building first and give his opinion.

You built a cool little place.  Good luck.  d*
Give me a place to stand and a lever long enough,  and I will move the world.

rick91351

Bobmarlon:  I agree with archimedes and depends on just how bureaucratic your particular building department is.  Some places can roll with the punches and others are so anal it is frightening.

Two things jump at me.  One I would get this permitted first.  Lot easier on mind, soul and self-health.  Second someone sooner or latter will make a phone call of your don't.  Yet first I think I would also take a covert posture in this matter.  On the phone I would become i.e. Bob Smith who started a cabin one day up on No-Tell-Em Creek.  I really do not know why I did it but it just started.  It took shape and form.  Now I am realizing I really screwed up.  Now 'I need to make this all legal.'  Just how do I go about this?  Be friendly and above-board yet do not let the genie out.  Ask how am I going to be able to do this without ripping it out by the roots.  If they tell you there is no way.  Then I guess let them find you, stay under the radar.

Good luck I don't really think it is going to go all that bad for you.      :) 

There is a sort of like case in the county we are looking to build in.  It got built or almost built when the tax assessor 'discovered' this structure.  Gossip has it now someone made a phone call.  The people who built it thought they were going to get way with something.  Or that permits did not apply to them because of the whole litany of reasons.  Last I heard it was inspected, it had to be brought up to code and permits and fines were assessed.  What happened nor how it was handled is none of my business. 

We know someone for a fact did the same with our shop building.  It was all permitted and 100% above-board yet the building inspector and tax assessor both sort of alluded to the fact some one called and said we had changed our plans and were building a living area in the upper part or somewhere in the trusses.  (I am not kidding!)

Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

Bobmarlon

you have raised alot of my previous concerns and some new ones.  One of the consequences is are neck of the woods is the donate the house to the fire department for a controlled burn lol Im sure this wont be the case as our neighbour is a fire chief and has helped us with some of the work on our driveway.   Since building my cabin I worked on a crew for a while and I know quite a few of the things they would want us to upgrade or change and I would actually look forward to having an inspector come in and give us some good advice.