Interesting siding

Started by Daddymem, September 16, 2005, 03:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daddymem

I saw this on a small business building in a Cape Cod Main Street setting right near the Cape Cod Canal.  Walked past this many times and never really noticed what it was.

Nice weathered shingles blending in with the Cape Cod Scenery right?  Nope.

That is weathered T-111 lapped.  Looked to be about a 10" exposure.  This looks like the thin stuff people use to sheath their sheds around here.  I couldn't guess how old this is...it has just always been there.
Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

jb

hmmmm...I probably wouldn't have noticed. Now I want to know how long it's been there and how does it hold up... ???

John Raabe

Interesting application. Looks like they should have used hot dip nails  :D.

You probably couldn't use this as the normal single wall structural sheathing/siding that T1-11 is famous for. You would need something else to handle the racking resistance.
None of us are as smart as all of us.

Daddymem

Yeah, no structural strength, but this isn't the house structural stuff anyway.  It has got to be a cheaper way to get that shingled look though.
Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

Mark_Chenail

Now that is one nifty idea.  Ive been trying to think of a way to side the wooden false chimnies on my house in missouri.  The house is sided in T1-11 .Id love to do a stone veneer but cant afford it.  I was thinking of using rough cut slab siding on the chimney, the kind with a ruffled bark edge and staining it gray so that it gave a stone slab look from a distance.  But this would be easier and give just enough textural difference to give the effect I want.  Might have to try a bit of this with some scrap I have and see how it looks.  Thanks.
 ;)
mark chenail