how did you fare in the blizzard/flood?

Started by benevolance, January 07, 2008, 12:46:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benevolance

quite a few of you out west... rockies west that is... How much snow/rain did you get... what damage flooding occured.

too bad this was not in three snowstorms this winter the area desperately needed the precipitation just not all at once...Though if some of it can stick in the hills and in the mountains it is a godsend... because it will melt slowly in the spring and replenish lakes and rivers and such...

This is a perfect example that better water storage and containment is needed in case of a huge rain/snow... it is too precious to let waste in the form of run off... Imagine parts of the desert in Nevada with 8 feet of water just going to run down the storm drains...

I mean this is years worth of precipitation for some areas...

Way too valueable to let go waste as run off.

glenn kangiser

Looks like around 5 inches a few miles from here in the last 3 days -- we were probably similar -- I didn't watch it too close - just tried to stay dry.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Dustin

The snow just stopped falling. It's now a foot thick on the ground. It was snowing incredibly hard. The biggest, fattest, lightest snowflakes I have ever seen. 
I'm in southern Utah (Cedar City, not too far from Zion NP). We just moved here in Feb. 07.
Not looking forward to shoveling more snow, nor driving in it again to take #1 son to school tomorrow. Freaky stuff. This is our 4th snow since Thanksgiving, so far, all being about 6 inches, this one about a foot. Normally we have snow much earlier, but things were a bit warmer this fall. Now I guess it's catching up.
We're still getting used to this snow stuff, having lived in (freaking hot) central AZ and (moderate) southern CA all our lives, but it's sure worth it for the fine view.
I'll just have to buy a truck or an atv with a plow when we finally build on our edge-of-town off the dirt road 2 1/2 acres.

glenn kangiser

Zion is cool.  Sassy and I rode mules there.  Poor Mules -- there -- I said it for you. [crz]

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

benevolance

Glenn you got 5 inches of rain.... Wow that must be some kind of record?

glenn kangiser

It does that once in a while - We get from 25 to 50 inches per year average and sometimes we get big chunks at once.  This one was pretty hard but no chance of flooding us here -- just makes lots of mud as we're about 800 feet above the nearest valley 1 to 2 miles away.