Creek

Started by jenn_dun_80, May 31, 2013, 03:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jenn_dun_80

Hopefully this will make sense. We spent some time on our property this week. When I bought the property it was dry and very little water in the creek. Where I want to build is past the creek. There's a old gravel road that goes through the middle of our property.  By the looks of it now it's not usable. Tones of deep holes big rocks, ect. The plan was to improve the road and make it a driveway and put the house half way down the property. Past the creek. This week after lots of rain the creek is pretty full and running over the road a couple feet high.  So here's my questions..

How do I improve the road and still have the creek flowing. my thought was to dig out a hole and put one of those metal cylinder tubes (not sure what they are called) and then put the road over it.

Is there going to be an issue getting water lines, phone and electric past a creek. Anyone ever dealt with this.

Any advice will be great. Thanks.

Danly

Here in CA disturbing a running stream can be a big deal, if it is seasonal it is no problem to trench when it is not running. Check with your local building authority before you disturb anything or you could end up in trouble

rick91351

The " metal cylinder tubes (not sure what they are called)"  are culverts

How you can and can not disturb them is a local or state add even Federal issue depending on environmental issues of your area. 

I would consult a local expert to find out your options crossing the creek with utilities.  Some places you dare not dislodge any sediment what so ever other places are very easy work with.

Here we can cross them so long as they are dry and returned to before, not rerouted nor dammed........

Good luck
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

CamKrist

I decided to give a hand and sent a post into social bookmarks. I hope the popularity will rise in.
Don't waste your time if you want to find excellent term papers writing service, order here http://prime-essay.com

rick91351

Quote from: CamKrist on June 03, 2013, 06:45:24 AM
I decided to give a hand and sent a post into social bookmarks. I hope the popularity will rise in.

[cool]  WOW!!   ??? I think......  Facebook and twitter  that will help..... [waiting] 
Proverbs 24:3-5 Through wisdom is an house builded; an by understanding it is established.  4 And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with all precious and pleasant riches.  5 A wise man is strong; yea, a man of knowledge increaseth strength.

jenn_dun_80

Thanks. I never even thought that there would be laws against it since it's on my land and I wasn't filling it in just trying to get across it. I guess I need to contact someone. Maybe I should look for a spot closer to the road before the creek for a back up.

jenn_dun_80

It's in Oklahoma if that makes a difference.

rick91351

WOW we are more than likely related if your from Ok.  Grandfather was one of ten kids.  Then he had about ten kids in a couple marriages.   ;) 

Like I was stated it is sort a touchy subject in some areas.  Ok I have not heard a whole lot about issues.  Pacific Northwest is a whole other story.  You can not even trap rain water for a cistern here legally because you technically do not own it.   

Sounds as if you are going to hook up to existing utilities and will not be putting in a septic tank and drain field?  Public sewer?  This is very important to get a handle on early.  If a sewer system is close and you can connect to it that is a big help on where you can build.  However if you are going to have to put in a septic system that very well may dictate where the house goes.

My septic tank and drain field is about 300 ft from where we wanted to put it and build.  Still have not built but the septic is in along with water.  Now waiting to build   [waiting]     

flyingvan

I'm a big fan of building bridges.  You can form a nice arch and go with masonry, or heavy timbers...Either way the bridge also provides a great way to get water and power over the creek
Find what you love and let it kill you.