I hate computers

Started by peternap, January 29, 2010, 09:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peternap

For some reason, this thing has started acting up. It acts like it's out of memory. For instance, when I typed the title here. I typed

What I typed showed up as

I hate com

Then it showed a screen that said Firefox not responding, five seconds later, the entry screen showed and the last letters pasted in... >:(
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

RainDog

Mine do that periodically too. Usually when I'm running some resource intense program in the background, but occasionally for no apparent reason at all.

I assume you've done the Ctrl+Alt+Del Taskmanager thing to see what processes are using up your memory and shutting down the unnecessary ones.

Sometimes ya just gotta reboot.

If you find some solution, please let us know.
NE OK

ScottA

Mine does that sometimes when the virus scanner is running.

fishing_guy

The problem is more than likely Firefox.  If you have multiple tabs open, or leave it open for long periods, it tends to hang.  Closing the windows, then rebooting solves the problem...for a while.  Some web pages affect it more than others...

Try google chrome or IE for a bit and see if it makes a difference.

A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work any day, but building something with your own hands beats anything.

MountainDon

Yes, I used to have those delays as well. Chrome doesn't seem to have them.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

peternap

This is something new. Just started a couple of days ago and I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the email I posted about.
I doubt it's firefox because it does it while it's closed. It takes forever to get programs like outlook up and running.

Closing teatimer seems to help but darned if I can get rid of it even though I took SpyBot out.
These here is God's finest scupturings! And there ain't no laws for the brave ones! And there ain't no asylums for the crazy ones! And there ain't no churches, except for this right here!

bayview

Do a quick scan with Windows Defender if you have Vista.  You may have a virus that your anti-virus programs is not picking up.  You may want to go to the Windows site and download Microsoft Security Essentials.

Glary Utilities will help solve your registry problems.  I had over 700 . . .

Malwarebytes removed the remaining problems.

/

. . . said the focus was safety, not filling town coffers with permit money . . .

peternap

Quote from: bayview on January 29, 2010, 06:09:41 PM

Do a quick scan with Windows Defender if you have Vista.  You may have a virus that your anti-virus programs is not picking up.  You may want to go to the Windows site and download Microsoft Security Essentials.

Glary Utilities will help solve your registry problems.  I had over 700 . . .

Malwarebytes removed the remaining problems.

Glary is good. Got about 500 problems. My clearwire modem was going bad too and I jjust hooked a new one up.

I'll let you know what happens. Thanks !

/