What causes this?

Started by n74tg, September 13, 2009, 09:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

n74tg

While out driving around today I saw several houses in a subdivision that all had this problem.

This is a synthetic stucco siding; some call it EIFS I think.  On one house it looked a little
like mold growing in between the studs on the outside surface.

Anybody seen this before?
My house building blog:

http://n74tg.blogspot.com/

MountainDon

Never on a wall.

I see effects similar on roofs here on frosty cold mornings. The roof will have a frost all over. Those with less well insulated ceilings will have the frost melting off between the rafters.

I wonder if it's related to some similar heat transfer or conduction thing?  ???

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

jb52761

Think Don nailed it...It would be interesting if you were to drive by on a few other occasions, at different times and during different weather conditions, and see if things have changed...

JRR

Unfortunately, here in the hot southeast, I see it a number of times in subdivisions that are just a few years old.  Like already suggested, I've always attributed it to poorly assembled walls .... skimpy insulation, missing drain/vent planes, inadequate vapor retardents, etc.  I'm convinced if the walls were opened and inspected ... a triving mold culture would be found.