Knotty Pine Doors

Started by Jimmy_Cason, February 08, 2006, 04:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy_Cason

Knotty Pine Doors

The Lowes in Lewisville Texas added a new door display.
Pre hung $179.00
I had to share this with you guys..
I love the look of the Naughty Pine!
I took these pics with my cell phone so they are a little blurry.

glenn-k

I love the look of the Naughty Pine!

Naughty Pine, huh, Jimmy --- better keep Daddymem away from it with his Big Johnson.

Daddymem

Wow...if we were staying here those would go great with our knotty pine ceiling.

joe_landscaper

Jimmy, Gotta have one of those, I'm checking to see if I can get one in Ca. I'm building the Cason way. Buying everything as I get the money, storing it at my house for another month or so. We will start building pretty soon, our cabin is at 6,900 ft and there is still a chance of getting a fair amount of snow.  I'll post some pictures of the land when I figure out how to run a computer. I'm new and mostly a lurker but the information I have gotten from you guys is awesome.

P.S.   Jimmy, took your advice on windows, didn't ones that were returned or damaged @ Lowes, but started looking around and found a place called builders surplus, that buys Alpine windows from other places that have had them returned for one reason or another. New windows, no packaging, half the price. what a deal. ;)

keyholefarmhouse

Building the Cason way.  Found some windows from a remodel.  They are 20 year old double pain glazing.  Will go check them out today.  Free.   :D

I've decided on what plan to use and am working on the modifications.  I guess a materials list is next.  I do have a large storage shed and won't get at actual building for a year or so.   :'(

Shaving prices at every step is going to be vital.   :P

This building Forum is tooo coool.   8-) 8-)

keyhole
Catch nine pounders

glenn kangiser

Much cheaper collecting then doing it, keyhole.  You may not be started yet but you are saving money. :)
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Daddymem

Sounds like what we are doing too...just picked up a lot of sawhorses leftover from a construction project on someone's home (four 2x4 big ones and two metal portable ones) and a brand new roll of plastic coated fencing, all for $26.00.  We plan on putting as much used stuff in our FirstDay as possible, we figure we can upgrade later, especially easy to take if what you get in the first place is free.  Got feelers out to contractor friends to keep an eye out for things being tossed as part of a remodel.  
Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

glenn kangiser

You've got the idea, Daddymem.  Also watch construction projects - much easier if you have a job onsite -- most of the time the foreman will let you go dumpster diving - they don't have to pay to haul off the part you haul off.  They routinely throw out thousands of dollars worth of stuff each week - sometimes each day -- can't leave it on site and not economically feasable for them to salvage it themselves.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

Daddymem

Yeah, our office just remodeled and I snagged all this thick particle board cubicle desk material to use as tables for construction now and perhaps in the workshop when done.  I missed a solid wood door and a few overhead lights snagged by others during the day.  
Où sont passées toutes nos nuits de rêve?
Aide-moi à les retrouver.
" I'm an engineer Cap'n, not a miracle worker"

http://littlehouseonthesandpit.wordpress.com/

Jimmy C.

Quote  Jimmy, took your advice on windows, didn't ones that were returned or damaged @ Lowes, but started looking around and found a place called builders surplus, that buys Alpine windows from other places that have had them returned for one reason or another. New windows, no packaging, half the price. what a deal. ;)
I wish I could have taken my own advice..
This weekend I bought from Lowes..

25 @  $28.95 ea. 3/4" t&g sub-floor Plywood   $723.75
2 @  $97.00 ea.  24x60 "LOW E" windows      $194.00
3 @ $104.00 ea.  32x60 "LOW E"windows      $312.00
1 @  $82.00.      36x36 "LOW E"window         $82.00
2 @  $70.00ea.    24x36 "LOW E"window        $140.00
1 @   159.00     36" exterior door                  $159.00=   $1610.75

The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

pioneergal

Jimmy,

Have you checked out the Builders Salvage in Valley View (?) just north of Denton on I 35?

I think the salvage yard covers about 10-12 acres

We  haven't been there yet but have been told that a person can sometimes get some fair deals .

This is the number should you want to check with them on a product      940-726-3598

Jackie

Jimmy C.

I Checked out a place in Longview called Builders surplus.. They had mostly damage items and the cost was only about 10-20 percent less than new. And my wife did not want any damaged items going into her new place!
The hardest part is getting past the mental blocks about what you are capable of doing.
Cason 2-Story Project MY PROGRESS PHOTOS

pioneergal

Okay.............just thought I would mention it in case you were interested :)