Foundation in the winter? Other seasonal tasks?

Started by BigMish, August 21, 2007, 08:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMish

Can a foundation be poured in winter? Are there any other tasks that should be done at a particular time of year?

Thanks, M

BigMish

To all interested in this topic, here is a reply I got from a local builder to whom I posed the same question: "Concrete can be poured anytime of year weather permitting. I would not pour concrete below 25 degrees during the day hours or during a rain or snow event.  There are additives during the winter months that are standard and help to cure the concrete quicker than normal but provide equivalent final strength.  Walls can be poured and covered using concrete blankets adding to the curing time.  Any of these practices do not affect quality of product or workmanship, however there is a difficulty factor with weather that could raise the cost depending on when you would finalize a contract. It is all relative and should not be of concern."

PEG688

#1: Can a foundation be poured in winter?

#2:  Are there any other tasks that should be done at a particular time of year?

#1 Yes BUT it depends on weather related days. Almost anywhere in CONUS you could pour  on the right day in winter.

#2: Ice fishing , the only thing that [highlight]should[/highlight] be done in winter. And really all  winter is really good for .  ;D
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .

BigMish

tc-vt

There are two things you may want at the ready for the day of the pour, in addition to the tools needed to float, etc.

To keep the concrete from drying have plastic sheeting if it is sunny and hot dry.

Second, cheap and available insulation if you are in a rural area is hay from local farms.  

Lay down the plastic and then spread the hay over it.  My slab stayed very warm under a six inch layer of hay with temperatures going into the 20s and 30s at night.  It did help that my slab is insulated on the sides with 2 inch blue board.

When you are ready to start building, the hay may be useful as a mulch for controlling mud in any sloppy areas you may have at the building site.

Tom