skylight thoughts

Started by MikeT, August 09, 2007, 04:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeT

It is time for me to land on the type and quantity of skylights for my Victoria's Cabin project on the Oregon Coast.  Given that this is a wet, moderate climate, I wonder if I could gather your collective advice on the type of skylights I should consider.  

Fixed or opening?
Curbed?
Site built vs, Velux (I am leaning toward Velux out of ease)
I am thinking of keeping any and all skylights to fit between my 24"o/c rafters--reasonable?

Thanks,
mt

John Raabe

Velux glass skylights (fixed or opening) are a very good choice (don't do plastic skylights). I have always done skylights on curbs.

Velux has widths that can fit between the rafters and others that can be headed off when you want something wider.

Watch the flashings. Most skylight problems occur at the flashings... most likely when a new roof is put on by a roofer who doesn't think about the flashing.

My fixed skylight details have worked well if you want large fixed skylights at low cost. I have three that are 34x76 and two that are 44x76. They have been up over 20 years. http://www.jshow.com/y2k/listings/35.html
None of us are as smart as all of us.

PEG688

Velux  or Crystal light, operabale ones are nice but spendy.   You might want one be selective and remember to never leave it open , IF your place is a cabin / retreat type place.

There is a IRC about skylight that are over 12' from the floor being laminated glass not just normal safety glass. Your code offical may or may not call you on a "normal" one.

2x6 curb here in PNW and like John said the devils in the flashing details , think like rain , lead it to day light.

also like John said most "normal " skylights are made to fit between 24'OC rafters or truss's. The 4 -0 type are a laod to hump up on a roof which may beanother consideration if your roof is steep (I assume ) and chances are you'll be working alone or with limited strenght / experience crew.

G/L PEG
When in doubt , build it stout with something you know about .