Smart Panel Vs. T1-11

Started by JimVa, August 31, 2005, 09:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimVa

Just found this forum, seems great.  I'm buying a 12x20x7 storage shed for use in Northern Va.  Two sidings are available: smart panel and T1-11.  Both are painted before delivery.  The shed will be located on a gravel pad and I'll use it as a work shop and for storage (imagine!).  I know very little about Smart Panel - have never used/owned.  T1-11 is an old reliable.  If you have thoughts about this decision, I'm ready to read.  Thank you in advance.  JimVa

glenn-k

Welcome, JimVa.  Some opinions should be with you shortly. :)

Bouncer

Check out my cabin in the gallery. I used smart side on it and its worked well. You can't beat the price IMO.
Kevin

trish2

Jim--
Make your decision soon, because I fear that supplies and choices will narrow soon as material starts to head to the Gulf Coast.

n74tg

If this Smart Panel is the stuff they're talking about at:
http://www.siding4u.com/failing_siding_help.htm,
I think I'd avoid it.

Amanda_931

It took me a couple of minutes to figure out why Louisiana Pacific's web site was down!

I was going to look it up and see if it could be used as structural sheathing.  It would make a difference, even if it is the greatest thing since popcorn, as to cost.

::) :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ ::)

Bouncer

The stuff N74tg is talking about was the old stuff. The new stuff is better. I know Its on my cabin and working great.
Here is there website http://www.lpcorp.com/lpsidingproducts/lpsmartside/productinformation/productliterature.aspx
Kevin

desdawg

I used a similar material, different manufacturer, to skirt a manufactured home. It hasn't been up long enough to provide a good analysis of it's performance. When I was installing it I felt like it was a definite step up from the old masonite sheet siding in terms of rigidity and hopefully durability. I painted my bottoms with a borate paint to discourage any termite attacks since it was going to ground level. The 2 X 4 framing behind it was also treated lumber. Anyway termites were my biggest concern. I know termites don't like masonite. This product says it is treated with a borate solution, I would imagine in the strand glue which would protect any cut edges. I am making some assumptions here. Anyway, it looked like a good product initially. Time will tell.