ACQ Lumber - Corrosive to Metal Brackets!!?

Started by Kodakjello, February 02, 2007, 04:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kodakjello

Hey Everyone,

I'm about to order the CB88 and CB66 brackets for the foundation of my house and porch. I was doing some research on treated lumber and precautions you should take with it and I discovered that the new stuff (ACQ with copper) is really, really corrosive :(.  Does anyone have any opinions/experience with metal brackets and ACQ lumber? I'm going to have to get the Hot Dipped Galvanized versions of the brackets but will those be corroded away as well?

Is there a coating I can use on the lumber to minimize the damage to the brackets? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Shaun

bartholomew

Here's a previous discussion... http://www.countryplans.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1142096694...where CountryPlans member JRR said he uses roof sealer.

Grace Vycor sells a "Deck Protector" product for this application. I haven't seen it so I don't know if it is any different from their peel and stick flexible flashing. Of course they claim that it's better than felt, housewrap, flexible flashing etc. but obviously they're biased.