Footings were not approved!!

Started by SardonicSmile, March 02, 2010, 04:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SardonicSmile

So I call the inspector and ask him exactly what we need to do to dig/pour our footings. He says 12" below undisturbed soil, 16" wide, and level obviously. So.. we dig the footings this past Saturday. Did exactly what he said, the footings were 100% straight, level, and done with professional help and an expensive level/tripod.

I can't get in touch with the inspector, but all I know at this point is that it was not approved. I have no idea what's going on. I really hope this guy doesn't call me up and tell me that It needs to be deeper than 12". He flat out told me 12" deep. He said nothing about digging deeper for different types of soil or anything like that, and I'm pretty confident the guy helping us would have known.

MountainDon

Did you pour the concrete or just set it up?

Here I've dug and prepared the site, installed formwork where required, wired the rebar into place where required, etc. Then they come out and look at all that, give the okay (or not), and then you can pour concrete (or redo and reinspect).   
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

SardonicSmile

Quote from: MountainDon on March 02, 2010, 05:09:36 PM
Did you pour the concrete or just set it up?

Here I've dug and prepared the site, installed formwork where required, wired the rebar into place where required, etc. Then they come out and look at all that, give the okay (or not), and then you can pour concrete (or redo and reinspect).   

Finally got in touch. Apparently we have to have the grade stakes in before inspection.. that's all it was.