Photons created from a vacuum

Started by Windpower, November 19, 2011, 10:55:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windpower

Scientists at Chalmers have succeeded in creating light from vacuum -- observing an effect first predicted over 40 years ago. In an innovative experiment, the scientists have managed to capture some of the photons that are constantly appearing and disappearing in the vacuum.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/11/111118133050.htm

'Zero point' energy scientists have been demonstrating this for years with their patented devices

John Bedini, Tom Bearden, Eugene  Mallove

ETA Nicola Tesla and Dr T Henry Moray

Often, our ignorance is not as great as our reluctance to act on what we know.

muldoon

I think I am missing the breakthrough here. 

From the article: 
QuoteWhat happens during the experiment is that the "mirror" transfers some of its kinetic energy to virtual photons, which helps them to materialise.

So this is not something from nothing as originally implied, they are putting energy into the field and the protons are not being created by the vacuum but by the transference of one form of energy into another. 

The second piece of the article that seems fuzzy is the statements around the vacuum itself. 
QuoteThe experiment is based on one of the most counterintuitive, yet, one of the most important principles in quantum mechanics: that vacuum is by no means empty nothingness. In fact, the vacuum is full of various particles that are continuously fluctuating in and out of existence.

By definition that is not a vacuum.  vacuum comes from the latin word for literally empty and is considered to be empty space - devoid of any particles. 

Now, as for the practicality of whether or not vacuums can exist, I am up for that discussion because I think the very nature of space has properties and that there is no such thing as empty space.  Empty space to me seems a Newtonian concept where we now know that space and space time have many observable properties that affect the matter and energy within it. 

Interesting concept, but I struggled with the article to see the profound breakthrough.  Can you share your take?