Maine Mountainside 12x16 bunkhouse

Started by MaineRhino, October 12, 2010, 08:01:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaineRhino

Last year we started construction on a 12x16 bunkhouse, as our camp has only one bedroom in the loft.
The bunkhouse will have a double bunk, full-size on bottom and a twin on the top. Also a pull-out futon.

We started with the clearing of trees and digging post holes as deep as we could (not very).

Then the base was built using 2x10's on 16" centers. This was followed by 3/4" Advantech flooring.
The walls are 2x6, 16" o/c. One door, and 4 windows (3 are old salesmen demo's)

The roof is 2x8, 6/12 pitch covered in Ice & Water shield and 30 year architectural shingles.

We have finally almost finished it this year, with the addition of Typar and siding. We also replaced the ramp with a deck.

The inside will be finished with 1x8 T & G, V-Match pine. I also had an extra Jotul Nordic woodstove to install.

While I worked on that, my wife decided to move a large pile of brush. Way to go Sarah!!!

Now if I can just get her to run a chainsaw.......

More to come soon! We're almost done!

JRanch

Nice sturdy looking bunkhouse, what did you use for the posts?

MountainDon

Quote from: MaineRhino on October 12, 2010, 08:01:51 AM

While I worked on that, my wife decided to move a large pile of brush. Way to go Sarah!!!

Now if I can just get her to run a chainsaw.......

Karen is great at moving tree tops and limbs into piles for burning off in winter.   

If she liked to run the chainsaw though I might end up having to move branches...  ???

Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

jan nikolajsen

Nice, simple, classic. I like it.

Tell me about the siding shingles. Not wood, but..?

RIjake

'nother question for ya, you said you dug down as deep as you could, not far.  I'm in Maine to and I know how boney it can be, you're ok with getting it down as far as you could.

I ask because I'll probably end up doing something very similar, a bunkhouse and a main cabin.   

MaineRhino

Quote from: JRanch on October 12, 2010, 09:20:36 AM
Nice sturdy looking bunkhouse, what did you use for the posts?

My neighbor had some leftover 8x8 PT posts which I used.

MaineRhino

Quote from: jan nikolajsen on October 12, 2010, 09:39:48 AM
Nice, simple, classic. I like it.

Tell me about the siding shingles. Not wood, but..?

Vinyl. It may not be wood, but I like it!  Like our camp, it was built with very little maintenance in mind.
I think it is Discovery, Cedar Impressions in natural cedar color. I also discussed it in my camp posting, see link below....

MaineRhino

Quote from: RIjake on October 12, 2010, 09:52:04 AM
'nother question for ya, you said you dug down as deep as you could, not far.  I'm in Maine to and I know how boney it can be, you're ok with getting it down as far as you could.

I ask because I'll probably end up doing something very similar, a bunkhouse and a main cabin.   

Yes, I feel it is very secure and safe.

You are welcome to come and look at it, just PM me. We are there almost every weekend.

MaineRhino

Almost done, only interior window trim left.

Shawn B

Nice comfy cabin. I like the light fixtures.
"The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on Earth, and not to be under the will or legislative authority of man, but only to have the law of nature for his rule." Samuel Adams

JRanch

Nice job on the bunkhouse. I really like your beds, way to go! [cool]

Barry Broome

On the 8X8 posts which are in the ground, did you use 6 or 9 of them? How deep are they and did you pour cement around them?
"The press, like fire, is an excellent servant, but a terrible master."

MaineRhino

Quote from: Weasel on December 25, 2010, 06:35:33 PM
On the 8X8 posts which are in the ground, did you use 6 or 9 of them? How deep are they and did you pour cement around them?

9 posts were used. I had originally planned on using the shed to store one of my 4-wheelers, so it was built extra sturdy.

I dug holes as deep as I could, some were 6", others were up to 2' max.  Very rocky soil, mostly ledge.  Cement was poured in each hole, and the post sits on top of the cement.  c*