14x24 WI cabin

Started by mand0092, March 23, 2012, 10:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mand0092

Hey guys,

I've got my insulated subfloor on, and will be building my walls/roof in 2 weeks. I am ordering the trusses today and wanted to run a couple ideas past you and get your thoughts. Im thinking of running my framing using 2x6's and having my walls 12' high. that way I could throw in a loft (12x14) and come down the walls 4' so my ceiling height under the loft would be 8'. I also am thinking about getting my trusses outside pitch 12/12 and inside pitch 9/12 using scissor trusses to allow for the most height clearance possible.

1st question....how should I support the loft? do you have any examples? could I run 2x10's the full length of the 14' without a center support? I know that the board size is sufficient for the span. Wasn't sure if anyone else has done this and how they supported it on the outside walls.

2nd question....  can I use hurricane ties to anchor in the roof trusses or would you suggest something else?

Any help would be appreciated

MountainDon

IF you are using engineered trusses for the roof you can use the taller 2x6 wall studs and safely notch them for a horizontal 2x6 to be inset into the inside face edge of the studs. Then the loft joists can rest on the ledger. That is easiest cut out before the walls are assembled  and erected. Gang the studs together, clamp, measure mark. Cut to just barely the required depth. You do not want to over cut and have a weakened inside corner in the stud. Clean out with many cuts and then a chisel. A router can also be used with lumber guides set up.

The joists would be face nailed into the wall studs. One floor joist nailed to a stud; same OC spacing.  Ask the truss designer / manufacturer to design the scissors trusses to produce the least horizontal outward load possible. There will be some outward force but the engineer can minimize it. Tell him about the extra height wall studs / loft floor.

Hurricane ties; yes. They also make it easy to position the trusses.

You're okay to span the 14' with commonly used species 2x10 #2, 16" OC, no center supports needed.
Just because something has been done and has not failed, doesn't mean it is good design.

Redoverfarm

Why not go with a engineered "attic truss" there is probably not that much more cost than convientional scissor truss & floor joist, ledger and etc...   I think the original quote I got for my 26 wide was $157 but I found a company for $101 each.  They were 10/12 and render 5' kneewall. This would eliminate the need for longer studs(10').  All in all unless you already have purchased the material for your wall this IMO would be a better alternative.   Maybe they could exchange the material? Just a thought.

mand0092

Great ideas guys I appreciate it!!!
Redoverfarms,
I had thought about the attic trusses and with the span of only 14' wide, I wouldnt get a lot of headroom inside. Also I wouldn't be able to take advantage of the 4' extra wall length that I was going to use from the 12' walls. I think there is a support beam at the base of the attic trusses that would cut off or eliminate the 4' area under the attic truss.

Redoverfarm

Quote from: mand0092 on March 23, 2012, 01:09:01 PM
Great ideas guys I appreciate it!!!
Redoverfarms,
I had thought about the attic trusses and with the span of only 14' wide, I wouldnt get a lot of headroom inside. Also I wouldn't be able to take advantage of the 4' extra wall length that I was going to use from the 12' walls. I think there is a support beam at the base of the attic trusses that would cut off or eliminate the 4' area under the attic truss.

My truss's give me 12' usable space (26' width).  He asked if I would rather have a 15' room and I declined because the knee wall would have only been 3' which in my opinion would just gather dust. ;).  My truss's do not utilize any support mid span and the floor joist rest on the wall plate.  I am not sure with your width you may only end up with a hallway.   ;D

mand0092

All the wood, sheething and trusses are ordered and being delivered in 2 days (friday) I've got 5 guys coming over to help frame up the walls and loft and set the trusses all day Saturday. I'll post pictures of the progress when we get done.

Crossing fingers that everything goes well.