wanting to get started

Started by cabinfever1983, August 24, 2008, 10:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cabinfever1983

well i guess technicaly im not ready to star but i was wondering if people could tell me some of the costs of building a small cabin like 16x24 i know it varies as im  going to be spending the money on it as i get it some advice as well as cheaper methods would help not cheap as in crappy but cheaper as in save a lil green id love links to help me out on chosing a plan  though i really did like the one on front page from michigan but all tips/cost estimates/advice/where i can sell my leg and arm to do this would help out great

mike decatur mi

muldoon

welcome mike. 

I would guess your still in the "dreaming phase", so fair warning theres a bit to think about.  Construction is one aspect, and a 16' x 24' might come in under 10k for bare construction, or might extend up to 25k for more luxurious internal finish.  In either event, there also are costs with electricity, water supply, septic, driveways and such.  I guess like any good dream, it's a journey, not necessarily a destination.   Welcome again, tell us about your plans and where your at. 

MikeT

I assume you are asking about materials and construction costs as opposed to land costs.  If you poke around on this site (outside of the discussion group), you can see some cost ranges that John Raabe has put together. 
I think I have seen folks around here doing good work for around $35-40/sf but perhaps others have done it even cheaper.   

I found that being patient and using Craigslist, I have been able to get building materials like windows, salvage wood, lights, etc for free.  If you want something "just right", then you will either have to be real patient or spend money. 

If you can get by with concrete pier foundations, you can do the deal cheaper than if you need a continuous spread footing foundation.   

Just poke around on this site, go back in the history of the questions and you will see and learn lots of tips and techniques.  It really is quite amazing.

After I finish my project, I plan on trying to build a small house from materials that are completely free and salvaged, and recycled.  Let's see how I do.....

mt

glenn kangiser

w* Mike - here is a plan for 16 wide than can be shortened to 24 easily.

http://www.countryplans.com/victoria.html
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.

cabinfever1983

i did look at tha plan and like it alot but i thought maybe it would be harder considering the add on going to the one side but i do think it is a solid plan but the rub is was hoping to  do a large  loft i mean whould it be structuarly soud for me to make a bogger loft as in height ?

glenn kangiser

I don't think there is a problem with going taller - maybe a bigger footing.  You could leave the add on off.
"Always work from the general to the specific." J. Raabe

Glenn's Underground Cabin  http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=151.0

Please put your area in your sig line so we can assist with location specific answers.